We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faresaver Tickets

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Faresaver Tickets

I was going through some old stuff and I found a pack of Translink Faresaver tickets (9 remaining). They are for one zone and have a value of $2.50. As the fare is now $2.75 does anyone know whether I can still use them? On the back of each ticket was written "worth $2.50 towards fare" so I assume that I can top up the fare but have no idea how I would do that (on Skytrain for example).

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faresaver Tickets

Just top up. I think on the skytrain platforms it's the choice on the vending machines called "add fare" on the bus it's exact fare in coins.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Faresaver Tickets

The old ones still count for full value toward your One Zone fare-the Top Up feature is for multiple zones.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faresaver Tickets

And in my experience the bus drivers generally do not seem to care, though some do. Best to have that small handle of change ready.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,019 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Faresaver Tickets

It has nothing to do with the transit operator-they have no authority one way or the other-I know for a fact that the old tickets are accepted in fare machines.

Now whether or not they'll be accepted when the new Compass Card system is implemented this fall remains to be seen-we're told the Fare Saver option is being phased out altogether.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faresaver Tickets

Sam is right, I have some old ones as well and they seem to work fine.

One thing I learned about Compass is that IF you buy your ticket on the bus, you are issued a paper ticket ( assuming it' s the same as now ), however that ticket is only good for transferring between busses, not Skytrain or the Seabus.

I don't think that will go over well with tourists. It will force locals though to get a compass card.

Another issue that I don't how it will turn out, is that when you tap it, the system charges you for 3 zones and then refunds you the zones you didn't use when you tap again as you get off.

Can you pay the difference on the bus? Or do you have to go and load up the card?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faresaver Tickets

There's a TQ about the Compass Card with a link to the translink page. In their FAQ section it looks like existing Faresavers will be honoured, but will stop being sold in favour of loading a compass card.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faresaver Tickets

>>Another issue that I don't how it will turn out, is that when you tap it, the system charges you for 3 zones and then refunds you the zones you didn't use when you tap again as you get off.<<

I read that this fare overage is adjusted down automatically on your card when you tap off. You just have to remember to tap off.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Faresaver Tickets

I can give you good info on this one.

!. I have confirmed directly with Translink that Faresaver tickets, once purchased, are valid for the zone travel indicated. So a one zone ticket is a one zone ticket, regardless of their value when you originally purchased them. No top up is required.

2. Faresavers are being phased out (like several other current programs) starting in January 2014. They have indicated that there will be a limited cross over period where you will be able to continue to use the old Faresavers, but they will expire at the end of the cross over period. They have yet to determine how long that period will be.

Short answer - use 'em while you still can!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faresaver Tickets

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be in Vancouver for a few days, starting Monday the 5th so will use the remaining Faresaver tickets then. Good to know that I won't have to mess around with anything. This pack must have gotten stuck in a map as I was sorting through a pile of old maps and out it popped. A nice surprise!

If the Compass Card works anything like London's Oyster Card it should get pretty good uptake with travelers. While it was a bit of a pain to get my hands on an Oyster Card initially, it is a very simple system to use. From a tourist perspective I think I'll like the Compass Card as ease of use is the most important factor for me. I hate having to ensure having correct change all the time and was often buying the daily cards just because they're easy to use and then not quite getting full value out of them. Time will tell, but I expect so long as the card itself can easily be purchased then tourists won't be too troubled by them.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Faresaver Tickets

Nope, you DONT have to top up, reads "Valid for a one zone fare", and as a prepaid ticket, they must honour this prepaid card, under the Consumer Protection Act of BC