We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canoeing near Vancouver.

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Canoeing near Vancouver.

Hi,

I'm going to Vancouver next week. I can't find any info on canoeing in Widgeon Creek except one post mentioned that the canoe shop in this area was closed. Does anyone know if it really closed ?

If that's the case...can anyone recommend alternatives to this ? I'm not a swimmer and it seems that canoeing in a calm water is safer for me than sea kayaking.

Thank you.

Edited: 7:18 am, July 05, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Lots of places for canoeing:

www.deerlakeboatrentals.com

www.deepcovekayak.com

trailpeak.com/trail-Buntzen-Lake-near-Vancou…

mapleridge-pittmeadows.com/things-to-do/…

Edited: 7:48 am, July 05, 2013
Vancouver
Level Contributor
288 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

I can vouch for Deer Lake rentals- super nice staff, easy to get to. It's a very small lake, though it's pretty cool that you can be essentially in the middle of the city, but from most viewpoints on the water it's like you're in the middle of nowhere. Great for a quickie- hey let's go canoe, in and gone in a couple of hours, bam.

I can also vouch for the alarmingly named http://www.killerscoveboatrentals.ca/en/ at Harrison Lake. My family did a 2 hour guided kayak tour with them and it was great. Plenty of good quality equipment, good staff. This is a daytrip, though, not a quickie. The whole lake is a great recreation area, though.

Also, if you're a newbie, kayaks are much more stable than canoes, and much easier to handle if you're alone.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Pitt lake still has canoe rentals. I believe it's $55 for the day.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Pitt lake still has canoe rentals. I believe it's $55 for the day.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Are there going to be more than one of you, and do you have much paddling experience? If you are alone and an inexperienced paddler, you definitely want a kayak, not a canoe. Most kayaks are designed to be paddled by one person (or however many people as it has cockpits), and paddling a canoe in tandem is easy enough to pick up, but soloing a canoe is a much more specialized skill, even if it's a specifically designed solo canoe. I live in Ontario -- real canoe country -- and I've been canoeing all my life, but I still find solo canoeing a special challenge, specifically in terms of keeping the canoe on course if there's any wind. Kayaks are also designed to withstand fairly rough waters, and while they may *feel* more tippy, this is just an illusion caused by the fact that you're seated directly on the bottom of the hull.

Of course to be extra safe you could rent a kayak on a lake or protected area (and there are certainly calm/protected areas of sea shore in and around Vancouver).

Edited: 4:17 pm, July 05, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Canoeing in the Land of the Silver Birch and the Canadian Shield. Lucky YOU!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Haha yup... though plenty of outdoorsy types would trade the canoe routes of the Shield for the alpine hiking routes of the west coast if they could.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Thank you for all inputs. I'll look at kayak as another option now. Both Deep Cove and Bowen Island look good to me as they are in good distance from downtown. Is one better than the other in term of safety ? (it'll be two of us but only one can swim, however)

Speaking of safety. Actually, I've been debating for a while...whether I should do these activities at all. May be get a rental boat from Horseshoe Bay for the day... or join Sea Safari Tour with Seawell's Marina is sufficient for my craving to get on water ?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

And gladly trades the winters of Onscario as well

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canoeing near Vancouver.

Deep Cove is sheltered water. Bowen can have more swells.

Going with Sewell's on their Safari is a really good idea. They show you wildlife and points of interest and tell you about them.