We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
411 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

We'll be arriving at the airport at 3:45pm. By the time we get through customs and immigration and retrieve our luggage, it will be rush hour. We're debating between the Canada Line skytrain to Waterfront (very close to our hotel) or just taking a taxi.

Our concerns:

We are in our mid 70s, and can move our luggage easily, but lifting it can be a problem for us. Is it necessary to lift our heavy luggage onto the skyttrain (any steps), or can we just wheel it onto the train?

Would we need to take escalators or stairs either at the airport or at the Waterfront station? Elevators are easy, walking is easy, but escalators or stairs with luggage won't work for us.

We're pretty independent and have used metros all over the world, but not with luggage.

Advice please.

Thanks for your help.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

There are elevators @ all skytrain stations-I use them all the time for my bicycle so No you won't have to use stairs or escalators-neither will you have to lift bags just wheel them on/off.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

Click open this link for a view of a typical Canada Line station. All the sidewalks have curb cuts at the street corners so you don't have to lift up over the curb to the sidewalk.

vancouver-travel-tips.com/images/vancouver-a…

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
411 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

Thank you both for the very helpful information. We will definitely plan to take the skytrain. I have one more question.:

Which is the best exit from the Waterfront Station for us? We're staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites on Hastings between Seymour and Richards.

Thanks again for your very helpful replies.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

When you get to Waterfront Station, get off and walk toward the back of the train. At the back end of the platform you will find elevators up to the street. Walk north to Hastings St and west about 200 metres to your hotel. Here's the walking map:

http://goo.gl/maps/i6YJN

Edited: 12:55 am, June 27, 2013
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
411 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

Thank you so much for the detailed directions. I really appreciate your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

Oooops. You have to walk east to your hotel, not west.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
411 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

The map that you attached makes the direction to our hotel very clear. Thanks.

8. Re: Is the skytrain a wise choice for us??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 29, 2014