We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental vancouver airport updates??

Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental vancouver airport updates??

I have read post dating from last year concerning budget car rental at YVR. Any updates on this? has the problem been addressed to anyone's knowledge?

We are arriving on the 23rd of June and need a car to drive up to the sunshine coast for a few days for a wedding.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

Were you specifically wanting/needing to rent from Budget? Because pretty well all of the major car rental companies have locations at YVR. Personally I have used the Thrifty at YVR for the last 20 years or so, and have never had a problem with their vehicles or service.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Mississauga, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

No not specifically. They seemed to have the best rates........ getting what you pay for maybe :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,955 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

I'm sure a promotional style price is how they are rebuilding their customer base after the recent media exposure and HUUGE amount of public backlash that accompanied it.

Whichever company you choose, go prepared with what service you want, read the T&Cs, which you can partially do as you go through a dummy reservation online. Be prepared for efforts to upsell you. Know what you are going to sign up for before you arrive at the counter. That's the best you can do.

Edited: 12:53 pm, June 17, 2013
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

Not sure why you would risk it for a few dollars. That was always their method, quote lower and then hit with the extras.

I have always gone with Avis in Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

I'm probably the only poster here who has good service and no problems at Budget at YVR. Rented from them this past weekend (also in Victoria, same weekend) and got very good service & good price. They are still a lot friendlier now than they were in the past! Maybe it's pure luck but I've never had a reason to go anywhere else, & the staff there recognize my name (given the 1000's of customers they must deal with, that means a lot to me).

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

We used Budget at Vancouver Airport in September, and I am currently putting together a detailed complaint to Mastercard. Be very careful renting from Budget at YVR - we have been charged a great deal more than the original booking confirmation stated, and there were many extras and some mistakes on their invoice. However tired you are from travelling, check what you're initialling extremely carefully - I assumed we were being charged what we'd been quoted and didn't notice the total until I saw it on my credit card statement when we got home. For UK users - we have been charged more than £800 for two weeks hire of a compact car.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
los angeles
Level Contributor
940 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

At YVR Dollar / Thrifty there's also a "Premium Location Charge" of 17.75%. Is this a norm ? I rented a compact car from Sept 16-22 of this year.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Intl Airport
Vancouver Intl Airport
Richmond, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
22,568 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

Yes - the location charge is related to the airport location. Many rental agencies charge an airport location fee ... at airports around the world ... including LAX... where it's $30 for Thrifty.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,955 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

Get into the city for a rental location there and "fail" to mention that you have just arrived at the airport on the same day to potentially avoid the surcharge.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental vancouver airport updates??

Thanks for your comments - in fact I've rented cars from airports in various parts of the world (including North America) , and never been stung as badly as this before. I'd also understood before I booked that car rental prices in North America had gone up quite a bit since we last visited, but the cost of this particular hire was extreme, even taking that into account.