We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

We will be arriving in Vancouver on Sunday, June 30 late at night, and our cruise ship leaves Monday, July 1, at 4pm. So we have a few hours to spend in the city in the morning and early afternoon. Our plan is Stanley Park, but in case the weather is bad, our backup plan is Granville Public Market. But I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is open on Canada Day. I saw on the Granville Island website that they are having a celebration (which would also be fun to check out) but I didn't see anything specific about the market being open or closed. Any locals know?

Also, how drastically is public transit pared down for the holiday? The website said to check back closer to July 1 for the schedule but for planning purposes I'd like to know if I can expect half the normal train frequency, less, or???

Thanks in advance!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,708 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Nothing will be reduced for the holiday. Some might be added. Transit will be busy. The market will be busy. You mention trains. There are no trains to Granville Island but there are foot ferries and buses. Enjoy!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

The market will definitely be open on Canada Day. Since July 1st is a holiday Monday, public transit will be running on its Sunday schedule. In downtown Vancouver, this really won't make much of a difference. Also, you won't be taking a train to Granville Island - you can take a bus, or you can walk, or you can do it the fun way: hop on a little water taxi (False Creek Ferry or Aquabus) for about $2-3 one way. They'll probably be running more frequently on July 1st due to the massive crowds. However, where abouts are your staying? That'll help recommend the best way to get there.

Edit: AlegreVancouver beat me to it!

Edited: 11:15 pm, June 13, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Be aware that the large Canada day celebration will be on the harbour side at Jack Poole plaza by the convention center and Canada Place.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Some of the Canada Day celebration around Vancouver:

…about.com/od/…Canada-Day-in-Vancouver.htm

I think the OP is talking about getting around on skytrain whose schedule remains the same 7 days a week.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Actually the Skytrain's Expo Line, Millenium Line and Canada Line schedule varies not only in starting times and ending times, but in frequency depending if it's a weekday or weekend/holiday.

tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire…

Edited: 12:06 pm, June 14, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

Slight correction. Canada Line start and end times stay the same 7 days a week, but it's frequency changes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire…

For easy reference, here are the schedules for the three skytrain lines and their frequency.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

The market closes at 6pm. The market is not that big of a deal but there are other things to see on Granville Island

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

If I'm reading the OP correctly, I think they sail at 4 pm on Canada Day.

For the benefit of other visitors who might be reading this thread, there are a few sets of opening hours on Granville Island. The Public Market is open 7 days a week from 9 - 7. Net Loft 7 days a week from 10 - 7. Kids Market 7 days a week from 10 - 6. Canada Day is included.

Edited: 1:53 pm, June 14, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Granville Public Market on Canada Day?

<<<The market is not that big of a deal >>>

Trip Advisor Reviews rank the Granville Island Public Market the #1 shopping attraction in Vancouver.

The Granville Island Public Market closes at 7:00 pm on Canada Day, not 6:00.