We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need early morning suggestions and more

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need early morning suggestions and more

My family of 5, three kids, 17, 13 and 10 are arriving Thursday night June 13. I'm sure we will be up very early as we are coming from the East coast and ready to go. I'm guessing we will be dressed and fed before 7 am. We are staying at the Hilton near the airport. We have one full day. We leave on a cruise Saturday afternoon. Any fun things to do or see to start the day. I'm guessing we will rent a car. Thanks for any tips.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Firstly....see if you can change to a downtown hotel. Your cruise departure will be from downtown. You won't need a car if you are downtown and you really won't need one if you elect to stay in Richmond. There is excellent public transportation.

There is a vast array of things to do / see downtown and limited things to do in Richmond.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,541 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Staying at the Richmond Hilton would not be my first choice. Getting downtown from the airport is very easy and there's a Hilton downtown as well (I assume you are using points).

Vancouver really is an outside city, and the sun will still be up before you, so I'd head to the beaches and the parks. Breakfast on the water somewhere (if you can wait that long, or maybe that will be lunch for you) and then enjoy a walk around the seawall and into Stanley Park. Transit starts early too, so you'll be able to use transit to get where you need to go. A car really is a nuisance in downtown and for one day, its really not worth it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,097 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Hi heidikay ~

You *could* stay at the airport and spend the whole day away from it in the downtown area. It's 30 min by Canada Line into town. It's doable. But the car is really unnecessary for one day as well as a hindrance. We are almost up there with San Francisco for not needing a car. Everything is downtown so if you can move hotels into the downtown core, you might be much happier overall.

The Hampton Inn is the Hilton version downtown. It has no availability for your dates for your numbers. The Sunset Inn and Suites has availability for a king bed and 2 double sofabed pullouts. $229 or $249 depending on the floor.

The Blue Horizon has a family suite for 2 night total $658. 1 bd with K, living room with sofabed and 1 Q. 2 bathrooms.

The Landis has a 2 bd (K and Q beds) plus pull out sofa bed in the living room for $194-229.

Holiday Inn on Howe St has 2 Q beds and an alcove with an additional bed for $185 + $10 additional starting with the 3rd person.

Here's a link to an idea I posted recently for a full day in Vancouver with bikes. It comes with a link to a map. It might suit you and can be adapted for teenagers with regard to the pub idea.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k64919…

Edited: 8:57 pm, May 14, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Granville Island would be a good day trip from Vancouver with kids - lots of eating spots, shops (including fun stores for kids)

YVR is located in Richmond - recommend renting a vehicle driving to Granville Island for the day

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

IMO you do not want to rent a vehicle to drive to Granville island..you can get into town on Canada line and use transit and aqua bus. You can only park on Granville Island for 3 hours unless you pay..and parking downtown is also expensive. You can buy 5 day passes for under $50 ..a much simpler better deal than the time and hassle of a car.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Be Advised-Vancouver wakes up late-many stores don't open until 10:00 and none before 09:00.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,541 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

True Sam, but we are also a serous breakfast town, so while most of the retail stores will not be open (nor paid attractions) there will be lots of great little breakfast dining options.

Granville Island is another fun option and while there will be some breakfast and coffee options, most of it will be shut until 9 am.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

dont rent a car. jump on Canada line, be downtown in 30 minutes. Lots to do downtown, Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium, Robson Street, Granville Island, Coal Harbour...you could also take Sea Bus to N Van...Capilano Suspension Bridge..

ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

Thanks for all the replies. I changed our Hotel to the downtown Hampton. Sounds like our best bet is to eat breakfast and head to Stanley park either to walk or get bikes at the hotel.

I want to take the kids to eat dim sum for lunch or dinner. Does anyone have a suggestion near the Hmpton that is good?

10. Re: Need early morning suggestions and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 02, 2014