We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Vancouver Question

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving around Vancouver Question

Hi,

My wife and I are staying downtown by Stanley Park. We were thinking of renting a car just for the weekend to visit sites around town (mostly outside of downtown). Is driving easier on the weekends? I know weekdays are bad (from all the previous posts), but what about the weekends? Parking cheaper too on weekends?

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around Vancouver Question

Well, it really depends on what time you're travelling and where you're going. Trying to drive down either Hastings or Broadway in Vancouver towards Hwy 1 on a Saturday afternoon will test your patience. Driving in downtown Vancouver towards the Lions Gate Bridge on W Georgia on a Sunday afternoon can also make you go crazy, but overall I don't find driving on the weekends any easier than driving on the weekdays. The only time that driving becomes a hassle is during rush hour (7:30am - 9am and 4pm-6pm) - before or after those times driving in Vancouver's a breeze.

Generally Vancouver's parking price stay the same 7 days a week, 24 hours. The further you head out of Vancouver, the more likely you're going to find free parking.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around Vancouver Question

Oops... forgot to mention, those rush hour times are for the weekday, generally. After rush hour traffic in Vancouver is a non-issue.

Victoria B.C.
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around Vancouver Question

Parking in Vancouver can be VERY expensive and don't think that the prices go down on the weekend.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving around Vancouver Question

Driving in and around downtown is definitely easier on the weekends. During the weekdays, the only time it's not bad is after 7pm.

Parking is cheaper downtown during evenings and weekends, when most lots will charge you a flat rate, rather than a rate by the 1/2 hour.

If you're in town during the weekday, I'd recommend the Gray Line hop-on-hop-off tour bus, which hits pretty well all of the major tourist highlights in town, and lets you choose which ones you want to visit, and how long to stay. That leaves the driving to the experts during the crazy workweek.

During weekends, it's much easier, especially if you get an early start.

5. Re: Driving around Vancouver Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 15, 2009