We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one shall I choose?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Which one shall I choose?

I am coming to Vancouver for a few days for the first time and need some help making decisions!!! Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Capilano Suspension Bridge or Lynn Canyon?

Grouse Mountain - Grouse Grind or Sky Ride? (I am not an athlete)

Whistler - Rent a car and drive or take a train/bus? While at Whistler, do a zip line tour?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
Capilano Suspension...
7,914 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Grouse Mountain
Grouse Mountain
4,307 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Lotus Land Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Power Pedal Tours Vancouver
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Numinous Travels
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Vancouver by Locals
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
347 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one shall I choose?

A lot of the answers to your questions depend on your budget. Lynn Canyon has a suspension bridge, not as long as Capilano's but every bit as hair-raising, and it's free, compared to ... well, let's say, a lot more than free at Capilano.

If you're not in reasonable shape, I would not recommend the Grouse Grind, unless calf cramps and exhaustion are on your "fun" list. The Skyride will get you to the top with a gorgeous view, but like Capilano, costs a pretty penny. For a comparable free view, you can go up the Cypress Mountain road to the 2nd hairpin, where there's a great viewpoint. Course, it helps to have a car to get there.

Getting to Whistler: a car gives you the most flexibility; you can pull over at some of the viewpoints along the way, stop at Shannon Falls, or the BC Museum of Mining, and arrive and depart at your choosing. Also, if you've rented a car for the day, you can head up to the Cypress Mountain viewpoint, and kill two birds with one stone. A bus takes the pressure off, in terms of driving a mountain road, and lets you concentrate on the view instead of the road, but reduces your flexibility. The new Whislter Mountaineer is more luxurious, but much pricier and much slower.

Having never done the zipline thing, I can't give any advice on that, though a friend tried it and loved it.

Mentioned in this post
The Grouse Grind
The Grouse Grind
734 Reviews
North Vancouver, Canada
Cypress Mountain
Cypress Mountain
267 Reviews
West Vancouver, Canada
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Museum of Vancouver
Museum of Vancouver
226 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one shall I choose?

Depends on what you like/don't like

Capilano is more expensive of course but is more developed as a tourist destination - if you want to pay less and enjoy something a little less touristy then Lynn Canyon - but Capilano is still pretty nice to visit.

Grouse Grind- really if you are not in good shape (for example could you go out and run 5k easily right now or cycle 10 k partly up steep hills?) If not pay the freight and take the skyride - though for my money it is way way too expensive now. At least if you hike up the trip back down on the skyride is less costly than the trip up - And only go if the weather is very clear -otherwise you truly waste your $$.

Whistler - I would drive because it gives me flexibility when I get up there - it will cost the rental, you will need to be confident driving the highway and be prepared for delays due to construction, but once you get up there you can check out surrounding areas if you want to. (be prepared to pay for parking at Whistler as well) and stop along the way. Once at Whistler you might want to rent bikes and ride around, take the walking path that starts by the golf course and goes through some nice scenery, hike some of the trails (there are easy ones and harder ones to check out), enjoy a meal.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one shall I choose?

1. Lynn it is free and Cap is a rip.

2. Sky ride...you will suffer on the grind. It is called the grind for a reason ( I have done it a number of times)

3. Drive Sea to Sky (STS) and do the zip trek, I hear it is great, no skills required.

Out

4. Re: Which one shall I choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 14, 2009