We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

NWT
Level Contributor
497 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

Hi! Love to visit Van. and will be there for my husband's birthday this year (March 17). We have a 3 year old. Are staying right downtown near Robson. It's a Sunday, but considering it is St. Patrick's day, do you think we'd need reservations for dinner at mid range downtown places? I also read there is a parade...Just how busy/drinky does it get downtown on that day...worth venturing out and about with a 3 year old? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

Hi cubabound ~

I would say it's pretty much a non-event here in Vancouver. The parade is along about 800 metres of Howe St. and the kiosks are just 2 blocks on Granville. Here is the website:

http://www.celticfestvancouver.com/parade.php

There is the Irish Heather pub in Gastown that will whoop it up (green beer) and maybe a couple more Irish themed pubs. For most people it will be an ordinary day. I wouldn't expect you to need any dinner reservations. Yes, get out and about, especially the parade that starts at 11h00 and the Celtic kiosks are worth a browse through.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

About 300,000 attend the parade....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

That would be about the same number as watch the fireworks in English Bay in the summer?????? It would mean 3 times the population of downtown Vancouver would try to line 5 blocks of Howe St. I can see 300,000 at the various venues over the 6 days of the festival. A link would be good.

Edited: 6:45 pm, March 09, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

I was there last year and it was underwhelming. There was a few booths that was more Celtic themed but it wasn't anything to be excited about. I didn't go to the Parade though which is always on a Sunday.

I doubt it's 300,000. Transit would put on extra trains and buses if that many people showed up.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

I tried to find the actual numbers that attend the parade since 300,000 also sounds too high. I live in the downtown core and have walked past after the parade ends and it certainly doesn't feel like 300,000 and considering how short the parade route is, it would almost impossible for that many to watch the parade. I wonder if the 300,000 is the number of people attending the Celtic Festival and parade. I did find this quote from the festival organizers.

"Since inception, CelticFest’s attendance has significantly grown year over year, drawing 250,000+ in 2008"

For the OP here's a link regarding the parade etc.

http://www.celticfestvancouver.com/parade.php

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

This is where I got the 300,000 number from. I agree, it seems high to me as well but I have never attended the parade.

…about.com/od/…stpatrickparade.htm

NWT
Level Contributor
497 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

Thanks for the info :)

8. Re: Van of St. Patrick's Day-Birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 12, 2014