We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs and American Cards

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs and American Cards

Hello all--

Coming to Vancouver this weekend, someone told me their ATMs use the smart chip and not the magnetic stripe we use here in America. Will I be able to get cash out of ATMs with my American debit card?

And what about credit cards, could I used my American Express in stores and restaurants?

Thanks,

Leo

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,707 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ATMs and American Cards

The FTF ranges from zero on a US Capital One card to over 4% on some cards. The cheapest Canadian card is Desjardins Visa at 1.7%. The good news it is on the wholesale exchange rate so close to bank exchange.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: ATMs and American Cards

Not sure if it's new, but the Amazon.ca visa has no foreign transaction fee (www.amazon.ca/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html).

And a quick field report: I tried out a couple of chipless US ATM cards in Canadian ATMs in Toronto today, and they were accepted at all the machines I tried. And these were shiny new machines at bank headquarters, not old ATMs in a forgotten corner somewhere. Most banks charge $1.50 for a non-account holder withdrawal (on top of whatever fees your bank charges), but BMO charged me no fee while CIBC wanted $2 extra. It seems any mandatory-chip rules (such as those mentioned by RonW) may only apply to Canadian cards.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,707 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ATMs and American Cards

Must be fairly new. Good info Matt.

14. Re: ATMs and American Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 27, 2014