We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

Let me preface by saying we spent 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies and eastern BC last summer. Just a fantastic trip with outstanding scenery.

We have 2 weeks this August and our trip will mainly focus on the national parks in Washington.

I also want to spend a couple nights in Vancouver. I've heard great things about the city. Would a day trip to Whistler be worth it or should we concentrate on staying in the Vancouver area?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

You've seen the best mountain scenery BC has and now you have the city and the sea to look forward to-you can leave Whistler be.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,576 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

That's a tough one. I assume you'll be doing lots of mountain scenery in WA, so you don't NEED to add Whistler as well. Two days isn't really enough time to see much of Vancouver as it is.

As you are going to need to come back this way one more time to do Vancouver Island anyway....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

If it's only 2 nights in the Vancouver area, I'd say no to Whistler. If you had more time it's a nice day trip for lunch.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

Thanks for the suggestions. Some on the Seattle forum may have convinced me to restructure my itinerary and add a couple nights to Vancouver and possibly Victoria. There are different opinions on what's the better destination in BC. Looking at possibly 4 nights now. Here's the link to that other thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k613060…

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

Decisions.....decisions......

I think no matter what you do it will be great. There are so many great places to see here on the West Coast.

As mentioned in the other thread, I would agree that Cannon Beach is one of my favorite places in the world....expansive beach .... great walking....and a quaint town. But it may be very difficult to get accommodation as it books up very early usually with minimum stay lengths.

Victoria is very pretty and I know lots of tourists like it. The ferry ride through the San Juan Islands is great, so perhaps do a loop. Anacortes to Victoria. Then Victoria back over to Vancouver. Then down to Seattle from there. I assume you are flying in and out of Seattle.

Whistler is also a great place. Given that you've already seen the Rockies, the reason you would go there is to see the town....great pedestrian built town (no cars) at the base of the mountain. Not unlike Aspen I guess. But if it's too much to squeeze in....perhaps you'll have to miss it, although the drive along the Sea to Sky highway up to Whistler is also spectacular.

Happy planning!

Edited: 9:28 pm, February 12, 2013
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

I work all summer in the Rockies and visitors visiting Whistler love the scenery on the ride up. There are waterfalls and the hwy itself is extremely scenic. If you have more time then its definitely worth a day trip. The thing that makes this part of the country so interesting is the diversity of the landscapes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

yes

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

I am now leaning towards spending 2 nights in Whistler and 2 nights in Vancouver. We enjoy visiting alpine ski towns such as Aspen, Breckenridge and Crested Butte. I'm sure my wife will like the town, plus we can do one of the hikes in the area.

Pantix, we traveled the entire Oregon Coast 2 years ago. I am thinking Vancouver Island is just too big to fit this destination in our itinerary, even if it were just a night or 2 in Victoria. That would also require 2 ferry rides.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

OK, I'll throw this out also. Since we'll be starting this trip at Olympic NP, why not take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, spend the night, and then venture on to Whistler the following day? I realize we would be taking another ferry to the main land the following day. I figure if we get an early ferry from Port Angeles, then we can spend the entire day and evening in Victoria.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Whistler day trip or stay in Vancouver?

Ferries have a habit of being late and you may well end up spending more time broiling in vast concrete parking lots than you want.