We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairview, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

I will be staying at a B&B at 4th Ave & Arbutus St for 8 days, need to get to Granville Island by 6:30 each am. I know it will be dark at that time. I am a small but healthy woman. Is it safe to walk alone? I planned to walk east on 4th Ave, then north on Fir St to 2nd Ave then to Lamey's Mill Rd and the Old Bridge Walk into the island.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

absolutely safe. Vancouver is a very safe city. I'd have no hesitation in walking alone..and you might be surprised at all the walkers, joggers etc who will be out on the streets as well even at 6 am. . It's an area with lots of people living there so activity pretty much 24/7. Assume yu're coming soon but it's already starting to be lighter in the mornings..

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

Just walked by your B&B-I live a few blocks away.

This neighbourhood is safe as houses (as you will soon see) walking along 3rd Ave is much quieter than 4th since it's all residential-the noisiest part is the Crows they seem to have a bee in their collective bonnets these days.

You may see Raccoons if you're out/about early-that's about all the excitement there is around here-that and road work on 4th Ave.

Fairview, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

Very reassuring, thanks so much!

Fairview, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

Thanks for the tip about 3rd Ave, and I feel so reassured about safety in the area from the two posts! Looking forward to visiting Vancouver and Granville Island next week!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

Yes...you can walk almost the whole way through residential neighbourhoods. The crime rate in Vancouver is a fraction of the crime rate in the US. You needn't worry about your safety at all...

6. Re: Granville Island area - safe to walk alone at nite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2014