We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying skytrain tickets

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
buying skytrain tickets

I am arriving from Australia and have read a bit about buying day passes on the skytrain but am not clear on where you actually buy these from.

Some have said a 7 eleven store or a pharmacy but I assume these are not the only places to purchase a day pass.

Can you purchase these are the skytrain stations, and if so, where abouts? Do I have to have the correct money if purchasing through a machine? thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: buying skytrain tickets

7-Eleven, Mac's, London Drugs, Safeway. They all sell tickets. There ara also vending machines for daypasses.

translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Daypass.aspx

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying skytrain tickets

here's the link to the translink info page

translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

you can buy day passes at the skytrain machines in the stations..you can pay with cash, debit or credit card. The 7/11 is mentioned because there's one at the airport in domestic terminal and if you buy a fare saver book of tickets there then you can avoid paying the airport surcharge..depending on haw much you're using transit as opposed to walking faresavers might be as good as a day pass. vancouver is very walkable and distances are short. You can walk across the downtown core from east to west in about 40 minutes and north south in about 30 minutes...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying skytrain tickets

We had a bit of a discussion recently on this forum about buying daypasses on the Canada Line (the line that travels in to Vancouver from YVR, i.e. Vancouver International Airport, and also Richmond). I did a bit of personal investigation last week and found that you cannot buy daypasses at the YVR station ticket-vending machine. When you look at the monitor, you will see options for buying one-zone, two-zone or three-zone tickets, but no daypass option. So, when travelling into Vancouver from YVR (or the other two Sea Island stations), you need to to the ticket vendors in the bottom of the domestic terminal if you want a daypass.

Once you get off Sea Island (where YVR is located, along with the YVR Terminal, the Templeton Terminal and the Sea Island Centre Terminal), you can buy daypasses at any station on the Canada Line. Unlike the YVR ticket vending machine, you will see four options on the screens for those ticket-buying - one-zone, two zone, three zone and daypass.

I cannot speak to the ticket ending machines at the stations for the skytrain lines heading east out of downtown Vancouver. However, I would expect that they would also have a daypass option, along with the zone ticket options.

My theory is that, because Translink imposes a $5.00 surcharge on ticket purchased at the three Sea Island stations, the ticket vending machines have a slightly different computer program than the regular Canada Line station vending machines. Either there was not enough room for both the $5.00 surcharge or Translink is being "greedy" by making it more difficult to buy daypasses at YVR.

Edited: 8:05 pm, February 10, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying skytrain tickets

Oops, I meant -

"Once you get off Sea Island (where YVR is located, along with the YVR Canada Line station, the Templeton station and the Sea Island Centre station ...."

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying skytrain tickets

Thank you everybody for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying skytrain tickets

shorty ~

The only vendors at the airport, your other thread, will be 7-Eleven and Pharmacare.

You can buy tickets from many vendors in the city: Faresavers (books of 10 single fares, reduced rate), Day Passes. If you pay a single fare on the bus, you need exact fare in coins. If you pay for a single fare ticket on the skytrain or Seabus platform, the vending machine will give you change. You must buy Faresavers from a retail outlet, not on the platform. You can buy a Day Pass at retail outlets and on all station platforms except Sea Island Centre, Templeton and Airport Stations. Everywhere but on the bus, you can use your credit card to buy transit tickets. Just be aware that the small "corner stores" may add a surcharge for the privilege. Can be $2.50 more than the cost of the Faresavers. This is to counteract the %age that the credit card charges the store for the transaction. So stick to grocery stores, pharmacies, 7-Eleven and some new agents.

+1 for post 2. Faresavers may do a better job for your purposes than a Day Pass.

Faresavers and Day Passes are not dated when you buy from a vendor. You can buy more than one at one time. The clock starts ticking when you validate them the first time - in the bus fare box or in the validator machine on the platform. A Day Pass purchased from a platform vending machine will be validated as you purchase it.

Edited: 8:41 pm, February 10, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying skytrain tickets

I also think it's time for us to start asking "when are you visiting?" because the system is changing from these tickets to a preloaded Compass Card and all this information will be moot. Expected transition to new system is in October.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying skytrain tickets

Oh dear, not good news. I am planning my trip for Setpember 27th onwards when I plan to do a tour;, plus spend some time in Vancouver itself. I will also be using the system in October this year 2013. My days for using the service in October are 11th and 12th when I have to get from my accommodationt to the airport and I was going to use Skytrain.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,310 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying skytrain tickets

No worries. There will be an overlap period of time to use both types of payment. The ETA of the new system is October, the fare gates and swipe pads have been/are being put in place but no definite date to start buying Compass cards has been announced yet. It's just that if you were coming in December, for example, we would advise you of the Compass Card instead of all the blah blah blah we outlined above.

Burnaby, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying skytrain tickets

The Sandman Hotel is 1 block from a Skytrain Station ( Stadium-Chinatown). Whatever fare media is required you will be able to purchase it there.