We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Revelstoke and Then to Banff from Idaho

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, ID
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Revelstoke and Then to Banff from Idaho

Considering vacation to Banff first week of May and wondering how the road conditions will be during that time and if winter weather is still a concern at that time, I have 4wd and very versed in winter driving conditions considering I use to live in Alaska, but my wife is a bit freaked by this...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Revelstoke and Then to Banff from Idaho

There is always a possibility of a snowfall in May in the Canadian Rockies, especially at higher elevations, but winter tires are not required (by law) on BC mountain highways after April 30th. That said, however, ski season at one ski area near Banff continues until the third week of May every year, and other ski resorts in the Canadian Rockies usually close down in the first few days of May; certainly at the higher elevations it is not summer yet! But unless there is a major weather event, you're not likely to have bad road conditions.

2. Re: Driving to Revelstoke and Then to Banff from Idaho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 12, 2014