We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

Hello! My family and I (2 adults, 2 kids 10 & 11) will be traveling to Vancouver July 29-August 1. We will be arriving around noon on the 29th by private transfer from Whistler and departing on a flight to L.A. around 11am Aug. 1st. We are staying at L'Hermitage. We will not be renting a car. We have an idea of the things that we would like to do and see but need help with an itenarary that will work for our short stay. Suggestions for transportation to the sights would be appreciated too. If we missed anything great or an item on our list really isn't worth seeing please offer your thoughts!

Things we would like to do and see:

1. Telus World of Science/Omnimax movie

2. Vancouver Aquarium

3. Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

4. Museum of Anthropology

5. Stanley Park - Horse Drawn Carriage Tour

6. Granville Island Public Market

Can we fit all of this in to our short visit? If not, which would you cross of the list? Thank you in advance for any information provided!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

Yes and a ferry ride along False Creek to/or from Granville Island/Science World is just the ticket!

http://www.granvilleislandferries.bc.ca/

http://theaquabus.com/

Or you could rent bikes and do the seawall all the way.

Did you know there's free suspension bridge with only a fraction of the traffic that the notorious Capilano tourist trap generates?

http://lynncanyon.ca/

Vancouver
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

I would give the horse drawn carriage ride in Stanley Park a miss and do it by rented bike instead. That way you can stop when you want and you will get much better and longer water views.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

Thank you both for the great information!!

Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

THE museum of anthropology is a great place and a great educational experience but from downtown but bus will take you an hour each way no doubt. So plan on spending all day doing that one activity. Though on the way back you could stop in Kitsilano and spend some time on the beach which is very cool in the summer!

The Aquarium is also very cool but you will also want to be there at least 3 hours to see the shows, (dolphin, beluga etc...) so I'd make a day out of Stanley Park/Aquarium. Another cool thing to do in the summer is take in a show in Stanley park at Theatre Under the Stars http://www.tuts.ca/

From downtown by transit you will also find that Capilano Suspension Bridge will be a full day, so I'd suggest if you want to go there, go, then take the bus farther up the mountain and go to Grouse Mountain, take the tram or hike if you are athletically inclined to the top, go see the grizzly bears in the refuge there and get a great view of the mountain... www.grousemountain.com/wildlife-refuge.

So here's what I'd suggest

1 day: Capilano/Grouse mountain

2nd day: Stanley park/Aquarium

3rd day: Science World/Granville Island (or Chinatown?)

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

The information in post #4 unfortunately is incorrect. The #44, an express bus is 28 minutes to UBC loop from Waterfront Station and 34 minutes on the return.

Even the regular buses don't take an hour.

The Museum of Anthropology is one of Vancouvera's great treasures and the totem poles and other aboriginal artifacts are not to be missed and would be fascinating to children the ages of yours.

Once you are out at UBC, the Nitobe Gardens are right across the road.

You have two full days and one partial day. Remember that that time of year days are long with sunset about 0830-9 ish. You can look it up.

Given that you can do all of Granville Island, and Science World in the partial day; Museum of Anthropology in the morning

and Stanley Park including the Aquarium the second day and then head up to Lynn Valley and Grouse on your third day and still have time to spare.

Edited: 2:39 am, February 04, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

Post 4 is not so far off the mark. On Thursday next week, with classes in session and bus service being at full strength, Translink says ...

The 44 and C20 from Waterfront to the door of the MoA takes 44 minutes. Other route choices range from 44 to 59 minutes.

The C20 and 44 back to town from the door of the MoA later in the day takes 51 minutes. However, the C20, 84 and Canada Line takes 41 minutes and other routes take 59 minutes.

If the OP just goes to the UBC Loop, they still have to walk 1 km, maybe 15 min.

Edited: 3:02 am, February 04, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

wgr - completely agree that the museum of Anthropology is one of Vancouver's great treasures, but completely disagree that one can do either Granville Island or Science world AND go to UBC in one day WITH children. That is completely not feasible, well, I suppose it would be feasible, but not enjoyable.

This is something perhaps two adults could do in one day, but with kids, well I wouldn't do it. One can easily spend 3-4 hours at science world with kids, then one has to feed the kids, then get on the bus, then get to UBC, visit the museum (again at least 2 hours), and come back...

But again it all depends on how many things one wants to jam pack into a day. My kids are around this age, and personally having travelled a lot, and having spent much time at science world and the aquarium, I have to say, my kids and myself are completely fried/overstimulated after spending 3 hours at either science world or the aquarium. I cannot imagine then jumping on a bus to travel to UBC to squeeze in the MOA. I would spend a day doing this and match it with a trip to the beach in kits or something instead.

8. Re: Help with organizing itenerary 3 days in Vancouver with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 06, 2014