We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Poulsbo, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

We are taking the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver in June for an Alaskan cruise. Which hotel (reasonably priced) would be a better choice for a family with children to stay at for a couple of days before the cruise? I'm down to The Best Western Plus on Drake St. which has a "Cruise Transfer Package", but the Ramada Limited looks like a better location. Please enlighten me!

Edited: 1:38 am, January 23, 2013
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Best Western is a perfectly fine hotel

The Ramada is on Granville and have small rooms and quite noisy

The transfer is in a big deal you're 12 blocks away

You might also look at the executive Vintage park Which also does free transfers

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Don't read too much into a transfer package. Any downtown hotel is a $10 taxi from the cruise terminal. Some are walking distance. I would do a little more hotel research and be prepared to spend a little more to ensure a memorable vacation. How about a hotel with pool for the kids? Compare Coast Coal Harbour or the Metropolitan rates. If you remain between Ramada and BW I would choose BW even though the Ramada is closer to the cruise terminal. Edit to add after David that the Ramada is the old Niagara Hotel on Pender not the one on Granville.

Edited: 2:37 am, January 23, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Welcome to the forum, Leah ~

Drake is in our Entertainment Strip, with bars and pubs emptying into the street well after midnight. Ramada Limited on Pender St would be a better location and only $10 by cab to the pier. If those two hotels mean reasonably priced to you, there won't be too many more than those in downtown Van.

You could stay anywhere downtown really: West End, downtown core (like the Ramada Ltd) because a cab will cost no more than $15. Have a look at the Blue Horizon, Sunset Inn and Suites and Times Square Suites as well. But if your budget stretches as far as the Ramada Ltd, well, there is a breakfast included. The Ramada Ltd is close to a lot of transit options and on a street with an older, tired feel about it. Good location, just an older part of town.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

BW Drake is just off the southern extreme of the entertainment strip. Might be some late noise. Probably not. It has a white Spot for a restaurant which suits kids. It is very close to the Granville Island foot ferry. The reason I'd choose it over the Ramada is how Mufti very well described it. A tired feel. Safe enough but boring. Not something for the kids.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

As david noted, Executive Vintage Park has cruise package deals, including breakfast and shuttle to cruise pier. In the same area as the BW but one block over and quieter. It's not a favorite with the regulars on here, but a perfectly fine hotel. They also have suites.

executivehotels.net/downtownvancouverboutiqu…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,685 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Yes I do have a bias against the BW and the Exec Vintage, as alluded to. They both have the Granville Bridge right out the front doors, not a lot esthetically pleasing about that. A hotel at that end of downtown you might check out is the Holiday Inn on Howe at Helmcken. It's on a feeder street to the Granville St bridge, but just enough removed from Granville St to have a different feel.

http://www.holidayinnvancouverdowntown.com/

I believe that when some hotels offer free this and that, there is a reason of some kind worth thinking about. I encourage you to spring for a higher class of hotel. Sunset is on a residential street, slightly removed from city centre but a couple of blocks from English Bay, a good deal and nothing but good reviews. Blue Horizon and TSS are both on busy streets, but IMO, a good busy with not a concrete on ramp to a bridge in sight. BH has spacious rooms, is an older hotel, on interesting Robson St. TSS is on vibrant Denman St with lots of shops, restos and interesting people...a Safeway is kitty corners, Spokes bike rental one block away and Stanley Park as good as out the back door. The Coast Coal Harbour is on a quieter street, nice for a family, and steps from the seawall along Coal Harbour to Stanley Park, one and two blocks from several busses. The Met is right in city centre with all transit options at hand, it just "feels" like Vancouver in that area and a very short cab ride to the ship.

When you're going on a nice cruise, it seems a shame to shortchange yourselves on the hotel while visiting the city beforehand.

Edited: 1:51 pm, January 23, 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Thanks so much for the wealth of information! I will research the other hotels you mentioned....we are going with another family who already booked the BW, but can easily cancel their reservation. We definitely want to enjoy the sights of your city beforehand! It also looks like catching a taxi is pretty commonplace and easy to do (we'll be doing that from the Amtrak station too).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,992 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

Since your relatively 'local' I know your not in Vanc for sightseeing vs spending the nite and going on the cruise. I stay at the Executive perhaps 40 nites during the summer and eat at the White Spot at the BW. These hotels are good for walking to the water taxi to Granville Island but sure they aren't as central as hotels on Robson but they are really nice properties. Some higher floor rooms have nice views of the water. Some street level rooms may hear some traffic noise but its minimal. Whatever you decide is fine but they are ok for what you need. You may also ask the Exec if they have a stay and park program

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,081 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

LOL david ... I always forget about the White Spot... i should remember that for breakfast. For dinner, I either walk over to Yaletown for a bite, or in summer, pick something up at Granville market and eat upstairs on the Executive's roof terrace.

Hana - the Executive also has a fairly large rooftop hot tub which I've seen kids enjoying.

Wherever you end up, I'm sure it will be fine.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to stay at before cruise?

I personally loved the sandman and it is reasonably priced with a Moxie's restaurant attached.