We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Alaska Highway

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Driving the Alaska Highway

We plan to drive from Calgary to Anchorage in June 2013. Will we be able to get accommodation without having to book in advance? Also, we want to take the ferry back to Vancouver and will need to find a car rental 1 way. Can anyone advise?

musiru

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

Finding a one-way rental car between Calgary and Anchorage will most likely be impossible or, if you're lucky enough to find one, through-the-roof-expensive.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

The ferry goes to Bellingham, Washington USA. You'll need that info for your one way car rental. Two countries makes car rental interesting.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,809 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

The one way car rental from Canada to the US will be very problematic. A one way rental from Calgary to a Canadian city close to the Alaska border will be problematic, financially. Whitehorse, YK being the most likely one to handle the receipt of a rental car.

This one way rental business is much easier to do from Ontario south to the US because of the much higher population and greater supply and demand.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,738 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

You might look at taking the car on the ferry back to Bellingham then driving it back up to Vancouver for drop off.. this way you'll only incur a small drop charge.. but you may incur costs for having the car in the US.. you'll need to check that with rental companies..recently a poster was charged mileage while their rental car was in the US.. read the fine print for sure..I agree a one way rental will be exhorbitant if you can even find one...

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,412 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

From my reading on the Alaska forum I think you will find the cross Gulf ferry from Whittier, which links to the service to Bellingham, only runs every two weeks, and fees for the car would be quite large for the total ferry trip with the car on board.

I agree with the others that a one-way car hire would not be possible.

Here is a recent thread from the Alaska forum, and if you do a search, using say the terms 'ferry vancouver', you will find several such threads on the Alaska forum.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k58…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

I know I looked into taking the ferry from Port Hardy to the Queen Charlotte Islands via Prince Rupert with a car and the ferry fares were going to be about $1200, and its gone up since then. I know when we did the Discovery Coast from Bella Coola to Port Hardy with the trailer it was about $1000. I think the US Gov't used to subsidize their ferry fares a lot more than we did, but from what I can see on the WA state ferries, their fares have more than caught up with ours for similar trips in recent years.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

thanks everyone. We will keep looking at possibilities. Can anyone advise on how easy it will be to get overnight accommodation without booking ahead?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

Travelling in june that shouldn't be a problem.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

Depends on how picky you are. Mid week shouldn't be an issue, but anywhere considered a popular weekend destination, or a bride with all the family on town might make things a bit tricky on the weekends.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving the Alaska Highway

thanks very much for all of your advice - really helpful