We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Help!

Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Help!

I am trying to plan a trip to Vancouver with my family and we are on a budget. We need 3 nights at a decent hotel/motel and realize that most properties in the downtown area are too expensive for us. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that is outside the Downtown area but is in an area that makes downtown easily accessible. We would rather not rent a car so a location that is near public transportation would be ideal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Help!

Not sure when you are planning your trip or how many are in your family, but the Holiday Inn Express Vancouver-Metrotown is just outside of Vancouver, in Burnaby and is right on the public transit system, "Skytrain" You literally walk out of the hotel onto the Skytrain which would take you into Vancouver and the sights. The pricing is reasonable ...I'm not sure what your budget is, but again it would depend on when you are planning to visit Vancouver.

Kelowna B.C.Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Help!

Try Bosman's Vancouver Hotel 1060 Howe Street

WALKING distance to most attractions, right downtown in reasonably good neighbourhood. $65.00 US on a special.

Toll Free 1-888-267-6267

elgin scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Help!

My wife and myself were in the same boat as yourself (we're going in July)and we've ended up booking the Y.W.C.A. HOTEL centrally located and by Vancouver downtown standards reasonably priced.

Originally we booked the Budget Patricia hotel but cancelled it when we found out it was situated on one of the worst streets in Canada (East Hastings Street)

Oro Valley, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Help!

Thanks so much for all of the advice. We are a family of 4...my wife, myself and our two daughters ages 3 and 6. We are trying to plan a trip the last week of may. I like the idea of having easy access to the "Skytrain" so I will look up the holiday inn in Burnaby. I will look into the other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Help!

Have a look at www.tourismvancouver.com. They have a hotel search and booking function (top right corner of the web page). There are a few pretty decent deals. The Howard Johnson is centrally located and is decent, and the Comfort Inn would be fine too.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Help!

One more possibility is The Victorian Hotel (http://www.victorianhotel.ca/index.html) which is located just a few blocks from the Vancouver Public library. They do not charge extra for children under 12 and a continental breakfast is included. In peak season, for a room with 2 double beds and private bath, they are slightly less than the YWCA (http://www.ywcahotel.com/explore/rates.html). The latter doesn't include breakfast, but rooms have mini-fridges and there is a guest kitchen.

Either hotel is close to Vancouver Community College where you can eat inexpensively in the cafeteria, or get baked goods and meals prepared by their culinary students (both on 2nd floor). Six blocks away from the YWCA Hotel is Urban Fare, where you can buy cereal, milk, fruit and other easily prepared food.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Help!

Just noticed that you are going in May rather than June, so the YWCA would be a little less than the Victorian.

One other thing: Burnaby is in transit zone 2, so weekday adult single fares are $3.25 to downtown Vancouver. The 6 yr old's fare would be $2 and the 4 yr old would be free. An adult day pass for all buses, skytrains and seabus would be $8 and the 6 yr old's would be $6. I'm sure your daughters would enjoy a seabus trip to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver. See translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/Fare… for more information on fares. Also, Vancouver's public transit system is excellent! Its weekend buses run more frequently than Suntran's weekday ones. I don't know if you will have a car in Vancouver, but for the most part, you will be better off taking public transit since parking is expensive and scarce.

Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Help!

Did you stay at the Victorian Hotel? If so, is it in a decent/safe neighborhood? My elderly parents are considering staying there soon. Thanks.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Help!

I would not recommend staying out in Burnaby. Although it is located on the Skytrain line which will bring you to downtown Vancouver in half an hour, it would be much more enjoyable and relaxing to be staying downtown so you could go back to your room throughout the day to rest, drop off shopping, freshen up before dinner, etc., plus you will have to purchase transit passes for a family of four.