We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak cascades

Los Angeles
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak cascades

Would love to hear from anyone who has done the Amtrak between Seattle and Vancouver.

Am thinking of leaving Seattle on this as it is an early morning departure, is it worth it.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak cascades

It's a nice trip, if a bit slow. You get to see some nice landscapes along the coast at times but alot of the scenery gets old after awhile. The trip takes awhile due to scheduled stops along the way and having to move off the main tracks if a cargo train comes along. Still, it was nice to do once but I would take other transportation for future trips b/w the two cities.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak cascades

Friends of mine just took this train to Vancouver on Wednesday. They said it was quite scenic, but long... longer than scheduled due to a freight train ahead of them. They were scheduled to arrive at 11:40 and didn't get here until after 1pm. However, they did say that clearing customs was a breeze...

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,303 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak cascades

I cross the border several times a month. The train is quite spectacular and you will see thiings you would never see in your car. It follows the coast from downtown till near everett then goes inland and follows the coast from Bellingham thru the border into White Rock. I think its quite nice. If you drive you are looking at nothing but traffic with no views at all and dealing with border crossings that can take one hour in each direction. Amtrak runs a website and you can put in the train number and click on a few days to see how on time it has been. Tonite for example the border is taking hours to cross and its not summer or cruise ship time yet.