We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour tipping

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tour tipping

Hi there, this is my first post so please bear with me. We are booked for a whale watch tour out of Vancouver. Can you please let me know what the tipping procedure? Do I need to tip the shuttle bus driver as well?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,945 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour tipping

I used to work for a whale watching company and tips were completely optional, but were certainly not expected.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour tipping

Welcome to the forum, DawniePerth ~

For a shuttle bus driver who just shuttles you from hotel to boat, no not at all.

I've been out whale watching and some people tipped when getting off the boat, some didn't. There was no pressure, just a "Thanks for joining us today" or something like that.

Welcome to a culture of tipping! Everyone on this forum knows that Aussies don't and therefore are out of their comfort zone. Ask away any time. Oh, and don't get confused or put off at some of the responses you will get. Tipping can be a lively topic on this forum. :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour tipping

You may be interested in this TA article about Tipping (and more.) It is from the Canada Forum and written by regular TA members.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s606/Canada:T…

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour tipping

best advice is to watch others get off. I've normally give a few dollars but each boat is different. Some have a tip 'jar' when leaving, but watch other people. $3-5 pp would be my guestimate.

Perth
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour tipping

Thanks everyone for being so nice. You have all put my mind at rest and I won't be worried about how much too tip the whole time I am on boat.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour tipping

Funny, I'd expect to tip on a fishing charter but not on a whale watching run. Go figure.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour tipping

Those tip jars get me going ...

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour tipping

whevever you have a 'guide' who is helping you enjoy the trip then a tip is appreciated. If your on a hop on bus with recorded commentary then I wouldn't tip. Sort of depends on how personal they make the experience for you.

9. Re: Tour tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, December 14, 2013