We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aquarium/stanley park excursion

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
aquarium/stanley park excursion

we are staying at Days inn at the airport, can any one suggest a good way to be able to do both of these attractions in one day. We have only one day.

greyline had a one day tour for several attractions it was over !00.00 a ticket per adult, has anyone been on this tour. Thanks.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

The aquarium is at Stanley Park....so you will have no problems doing both in one day. Admission for the aquarium is $18.50....in some ways, I guess you can spend the whole day at Stanley Park...spend a few hours at the aquarium, walk around and see all the empty display, what use to be Vancouver Zoo....if the weather is nice, you can see the "street" vendors, paintings, and drawings on display at the park.......you can hop onto the train (don't know what the admission price is)....while it's more for the kids, it's one of Stanley park pass time......walk around the park and you will see some totem poles.....personally, if you're tight for time...you can press it in half a day.

The other half a day at gastown....or Granville Island....please note, that both these places are NOT walkable (well to gastown, it will take about 1 to 1.5 hour of walking).....both these area you can grab lunches with ease....CAN'T say cheap thou. (but it will be better than Stanley park food)

Gastown, has a subway, and "The Old Spagatti Factory"......while Granville Island is an Open Market...so there is a food court....and you can grab some fruits and veggies for a quick snack there.

Aquarium website:

www.vanaqua.org/visit_us/hours_and_rates.html

Wouldn't know how to take public transit to Stanley Park...but be warned...Days Inn to Stanley Park is FAR.....like 45 minute drive....so the cab fare could add up FAST.....b/c I do not know what OTHER attraction Greyline are offering for $100, it's hard for me to say if it is a good deal or not.

I wish I could help you more.

Hope you enjoy your stay here in BC.

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

Consider utilizing shuttles to get to/from downtown – adult fee of $20.00 each for roundtrip. Specifically:

- your hotel's [free] shuttle to the airport

- Airporter shuttle to downtown Vancouver - #17 stop on their map is closest to Stanley Park, although will still need to cab or walk to Aquarium. Just a guess ... about a 20 minute walk (??), but a very nice one :-)

- reverse for return trip – but clarify with Airporter driver as to best spot for pick up.

Here is the airporter site - http://www.yvrairporter.com/ - See "Maps" / "Downtown Hotels” links.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

Thank you for replying, greatly appreciated. For Vegas257 are you saying that the walk of 1 hour or more is from Stanley park to Gas Town Granville Island. I suppose their would be a means of transportation that is economical from Stanley park. The walk does not offend me it is just I would surely be beat after doing alot of walking at Stanley. So I would have to look for a way to get there. Is is better to visit Stanley Park first then do GasTown after. I do not think it would be possible to do all three in one day by chopping up the means of transportation.

Tourist Traveller, thank you, we will do the airporter to Stanley. As I said in the above it would be better to do Stanley first then venture on. Perhaps Stanley/Aquarium might be sufficient for the one day. Sounds like the lunch can be expensive at park and not the greatest fare. The spagetti factory I would love to go to. Ah ..........

The greyline tour is called West Coast spectacular tour. is 109. plus taxes per person. I do not think it would give time for the aquarium. Perhaps someone has taken this tour.

Some reviews said to rent a bike and tour around the park. How safe would the bike be if one was to spend time at the aquarium.

Your are all so helpful, I can say honestly I would not be able to arrange this vacation without you wonderful trip advisors. Especially since I have only been on two vacations in my life time. Married 37 years and so this is special for us and this is the reason for all my concerns..thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,069 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

Personally I wouldn't make Gastown a priority for it has seen better days and there are more interesting places to visit.

It's mostly tacky souvenir shops catering to the crowds that walk off the Alaska cruise ship, selling maple syrup, Canada t-shirts, moose dolls, Mountie dolls, and the likes. Since you're from Saskatchewan, you're probably not interested in these types of souvenirs, and honestly, it's not really the most vibrant part of downtown. If you do decide to visit, you wouldn't need more than an hour in the area. It's best to visit in the morning or early afternoon. It becomes vacant at night and somewhat underwhelming of a destination.

Instead I'd focus on Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium, Granville Island, and the shops/restaurants along Robson Street. You might even enjoy strolling along the sea wall to English Bay and see the restaurants along Denman Street. Robson's shops and restaurants stay open until at least 9, so you can always keep that until the later part of the day to explore. Yaletown is also a new restaurant/shopping area in the south-east corner of the city, located in reconverted warehouses.

Granville Island is best experienced in the morning or afternoon. The market closes at 7pm, as do most shops.

To answer your question about the bikes, property crime is high in Vancouver, so if you're bringing bikes, make sure they are chained up if you are going to leave them to visit the Aquarium. I would never leave a bike unchained in Vancouver.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

I do agree with BC Robyn, that Gastown glory days are long gone....but, I try to think like a tourist.....and I would hate for you to go back home and have friends ask you "Did you see Gastown?".....but BC Robyn is correct, you can skip Gastown.

So you don't mind walking.....can you walk the whole day? If you only knew the things my wife and I did on our "cheap" vacation...never rented a car in all our travels without kids.....now we have kids, we rent a car.

If you're prepare to walk, here we go.....go to Stanley park first, and go to the aquarium, and walk around Stanley park till you think you've seen enough....like BC Robyn said, walk around the seawell and exit onto Denman Street, there you will see restaurants to grab something to eat, and rest your tired feet...I would walk up Robson, to Burrard...this way you get to see all the stores on Robson Street.......go south on Burrard (turn right)

and you will see a bridge....walk across Burrard Street Bridge, on the west you will see Vanier Park, not sure....but I think Vanier Park will be having the annual Children Festival in mid may, so paying for admission for a "walk around" might not be a good ideal....could be wrong on this....you might need to surf the net on this.....make no mistake about this, it's worth seeing...but, if you stop by, you;ll be there the rest of the day easy :)

Keep going on Burrard, and when you hit 1st Ave....you want to go East (turn left)......and that will take you to a seawall that will lead you to Granville Island.

This will take up most of the day...if not more.

Please go to MSN.com and take a look at the map of Vancouver....I hope everything makes sense.

Again I welcome anyones suggestion, fix any mistakes, or ommision in my post.

Cheers

Victoria, B.C.
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: aquarium/stanley park excursion

Here are two maps we found helpful

Downtown - english-vancouver.com/british-columbia/page3…

S. Park - …vancouver.bc.ca/parks/…overviewMap.htm

Bike Rental – with lock :-)

www.bayshorebikerentals.ca/bs-about.htm

If you are using Airporter shuttle, the #17 stop (Gilford & Comox Sts ?) is only a few blocks from the bike rental shop – and they rent bike locks too.

Hope you great weather for your ‘explore Vancouver’ day!