We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

I have won a trip to Vancouver for 6 nights with family (me/hubby and 2 kids 7yrs and 5 yrs). Flights, hotel,airport transfer and 1 day amusement park tickets are included.

We are planning to travel on 19th sep and need to give our final itinenary to the sponsors. This will be our 1st trip so need some help in deciding where all to go.

*What are the MUST DO/VISIT places?

*Should we keep all 6 nights in Vancouver or split it up to few nights in Calgary (Rocky mountains) and few in Vancouver?

*Not sure still if they will allow us the take stop over in Calgary or we have to take direct flight to Vancouver. If that is the case, do we book all 6 nights in Vancouver or couple of nights at places like whistler?

*Can we make Vancouver as base and visit Victoria and be back or should we stay the night in Victoria?

Thanks in advance!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Congratulations! Lucky you!

Would help everyone giving advice to know what type of things you and your family like doing?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Welcome to the forum, travel ::

Well done! that's quite a prize. I'm wondering what the amusement park is.

With 7 days, you might decide between Vancouver for 4 nights and Victoria for 2. Or Vancouver for 4 nights and Whistler for 2. If you wanted to visit the Rockies, the general recommendation 6-7 nights there to really enjoy the area. Otherwise you'll have just a cough and a sneeze there. Visiting Victoria would take 4 hours one way by car/coach and ferry, so not very feasible to do as a day trip. Better to stay a night.

Making flight arrangements home could go two ways. If you fly out of Victoria with a connection in Vancouver, you could do Victoria after Vancouver easily. If you fly back from Vancouver, it would be a good idea to get back to the mainland the night before a flight out of Vancouver.

Whether you choose Victoria or Whistler will depend on your interests. If you like a small, quaint city, waterfront, possibly a whale watching tour, with several attractions that would suit kids, it might be Victoria. Comes with a scenic ferry ride for 1.5 hours too. Or if you like to hike and mountain bike in fresh mountain air, visit the Squamish Lil'wat Museum, take the Peak to Peak, which changes from daily to weekend only on about Sept 23rd, stroll Whistler Village, then Whistler might be the place.

If you decide on your destinations, then we can help you with what to do and see while you are here.

Edited: 12:08 am, September 15, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

We are open to anything keeping in mind 2 kids (7 & 5) can easily do without getting too tired.

We like to explore things but not TOO much adventurous also.

We like scenic places, small tours etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Thanks for quick reply.

The amusement park,we are getting is Day PlayLand.

We have an option to pick any destination out of Vancouver or Calgary. If we choose Calgary, we will get stampede passes.

Like you said, 2-3 nights are too less for rockies, should we skip Vancouver all together and take flight to calgary or we stick to Vancouver?

Besides Banf and Jasper (scenic beauty) what else is there to do in this area?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,319 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Stampede tickets? Not on Sept 19th you won't. The Stampede is a summer event.

In the Rockies you could easily do

3 nights Banff

one full day on the Icefields Parkway (between Lake Louise and Jasper)

2 nights Jasper (one full day)

another good day on the IP

1 night in Banff to position yourself for the easy 2 hour drive on the day of your flight.

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

Here are the attractions in the Rockies for you to browse:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g659487-Activiti…

You could also post on the Canadian Rockies Forum to ask the local posters who live there what you might fit in your short time.

The decision will have to be made by you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

<<We are planning to travel on 19th sep>> and <<If we choose Calgary, we will get stampede passes.>> are mutually exclusive statements as the Stampede is in July, or maybe August, but its over for this year regardless.

You do not have time for Vancouver and Calgary. Have you won a trip to Vancouver, or just a trip to somewhere in Western Canada? These sorts of prizes are rarely that flexible. If you've won a trip to Vancouver, then I suspect that's what you'll get. Anything additional will be on your dime.

There's plenty in Vancouver and surrounds to keep you busy for 6 days. Agree that a couple of nights in Victoria would make a nice contrast.

The Tourism Vancouver website has a great list of the top 10 attractions.

tourismvancouver.com/do/…

This site also has a great listing of family friendly activities, most of them free.

http://www.findfamilyfun.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

I was not aware Stampede is summers only. Thanks for the info!

I have an option to pick any one destination Vancouver or Calgary. I wrote to the sponsors to check if I can take stopover in Calgary but I guess I should stick to one destination to enjoy the place completely.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Congratulations!! You'll have a great time no matter what you decide.

For me, I would pick Calgary hands-down, in order to do the Rockies. However . . . I don't know that there would be much for young kids to do in Jasper/Banff areas at this time of year. We adults would never tire of the beautiful scenery, but it would quickly wear off for the kids. So, as much as I hate to say it, Vancouver and area might offer more for the kiddos. And yes, you would only have time to do 1 place.

Edited: 10:50 pm, September 15, 2012
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

Vancouver for sure. I have a 10 and 13 yo so know that trips are all about them at this time in your life. Lots of fun stuff to fill your days here. Science world ....Granville island kids market...grouse mountain...go karting in Richmond ....so many more fun things to do with the kids in Vancouver. Lots of beaches..within walking distance even!

10. Re: Need URGENT advice in planning trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 22, 2013