We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Edmonton to Toronto

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Batemans Bay...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train from Edmonton to Toronto

Hello, We are booking a trip for a family with adult children to Canada. We will be in Calgary on Jan 4th and have to leave Toronto on 13th in morning. We are keen on the train and it is for January 2013.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Currently investigating VIA rail pass for late 5th to 8th Jan then a few days in Toronto. I assume this is better than spending 4 days in Edmonton.

Thanks.

Jenny, Australia.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

G'day Jenny, and welcome to the TA forums.

While you have posted on the Vancouver BC forum, Edmonton and Calgary are in Alberta and perhaps you should post to that forum here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g154909-i219-Al…

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

Fly Calgary to Toronto.....It's a very long very boring train ride. Canadian trains are definitely not to the standard of European trains because very few people travel by train here. I'd spend the 4 days in Calgary or Banff or Toronto or???

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,175 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

Given your limited time, the vast distances and the significant expense, I hope your research will result in your deciding to fly to Toronto as per T47's advice. As you don't give us a sense of what else you are doing, how you are spending your time leading up to your arrival in Calgary nor what else you are seeing, its difficult to provide you with any more advice than that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

The part of the train route that goes west from Edmonton to Vancouver is, deservedly, quite famous. The part that goes east to Toronto is much less spectacular. In January, it's likely to be long stretches of snow-covered landscapes -- relatively flat near Edmonton, rockier once you cross into Ontario. I agree with the others that it doesn't seem like the best use of your time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

Floating on an iceberg through the Bearing strait would be much more exciting!

Batemans Bay...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

Thanks everyone. We are doing the Vancouver to Calgary via Lake Louise and Banff with a tour group before this. Later on We have 5 days in Whistler with our son after Toronto and have 2 days in Vancouver to site see before that. We fly straight out from Vancouver after the Whistler bit - hope this makes sense.

I have from 5th to 13 to fill and already have a flight booked on 13th from Toronto to Vancouver.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,285 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

G'day again Jenny,

I would also go with the suggestions made by the other posters and fly to Toronto to spend some time in that region, having just been there for the first time a few months ago. I think you could also take a train from Toronto to Quebec City for a day or so. I was extremely impressed with old QC when I was there.

Just a few AU$.02c worth

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

So you will be in Calgary on the 5th at the end of a tour and have a ticket booked from Toronto back to Vancouver on the 13? just trying to clarify as it's not clear

possibly you could post itinerary in a form like the example below:

dec 19-25 ??

Dec 26-Jan 5 ???

jan 5-13 ???

as it's really confusing as to why you'd have a flight booked from Toronto with out spending any time there.

I aslo agree with Frommy's excellent suggestion to spend some time in Montreal and Quebec city. There is a much more convenient train between Toronto and Montreal and also train up to Quebec city .. which will be charming in the winter. You could even fly Calgary to Montreal and then train to Toronto.

Much easier to give some recommendations if we have a clear idea of current itinerary.

9. Re: train from Edmonton to Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 05, 2013