We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opus Hotel

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Opus Hotel

Does anyone know exactly how "hip" is Opus Hotel? We are in our 40's and 50's and have a res there in May. Would the staff treat us like we're "old farts"? I liked the pictures posted of this hotel, cause it reminded me of the show Lofty Ideas, where Yaletown Lofts were profiled, but wouldn't want to stay there if there's a lot of attitude resulting in an unpleasant stay.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opus Hotel

I haven't actually stayed at the Opus Hotel but I have had drinks in the Opus bar and it is pretty "hip". My co-workers and I went there before Christmas for drinks on a Friday night and it was trendy. However it was a mixed group of people. You had the "fashionistas" decked out in the latest fashion and our group in our "office gear". Its a great place for people watching. I think it's all in the attitude, regardless of your age. I would hope the staff at the hotel wouldn't treat you like "old farts" as they would want you to be return customers. And isn't being in your 40s/50s, the new 30/40? You are in your "prime"!! The Opus is a boutique hotel and apparently the rooms are on the small size. The location is right in the middle of Yaletown. You would be close to some great restaurants, such as Provence Marinaside (French/Italian/Mediterranean) just about 2-3 blocks away. I've had a great brunch there. Also there is the Bluewater Cafe (seafood) and also a new restaurant called Coast (which I haven't been yet). If you like Thai food, there's Simply Thai around the corner on Hamilton St. There is also UrbanFare - a gourmet supermarket.

Have fun!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opus Hotel

My wife and I are in our early to mid 40s and stayed at the Opus Hotel in the summer of 2003. This one of our best hotel experiences ever! We've been to Vancouver several times also staying at the Four Seasons, Pacific Palisades and Wedgewood. The Opus was our favorite in Vancouver (and maybe anywhere).

The staff at the Opus couldn't be more friendly and welcoming. The decor was modern and very artful. We had a courtyard room on a high floor. The room was a good size and facing the courtyard, extremely quiet (no street noise). The beds were extremely comfortable. (Also great bedding). The bathroom was amazing with rain shower fixtures and L'Occitane bath supplies.

The hotel guests seemed to be all ages. (Note: It is popular with stars filming movies in Vancouver. Sarah Michelle Geller as staying there when we were there.)

The hotel restaurant is a Parisian style bistro and serves great breakfasts (we didn't have other meals there given all the other great places we wanted to try.)

This Hotel is also in the best location in Yaletown (and is the only hotel in Yaletown). This is a great area with great restaurants and unique (non-chain) shops. The Aquabus to Granville Island is 2 or 3 blocks away. You can also rent a bike close by and ride along the seawall (also 2 or 3 blocks away) to the West End and Stanley Park.

Enjoy!

Washington State
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opus Hotel

Thank you for your positive feedback. We'll keep our reservation!