We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

We are flying Melbourne to LA, then LA to Vancouver on 4th September. Wondering if any knows if duty free drink can be purchased on arrival at Vancouver before customs or is it best to pick up a bottle or two as we leave LAX ? Thannks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,709 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Welcome to the forums, Garry ~

'fraid not. You will not have access to purchases of any kind between the plane and customs.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Thanks for the info MuftiMixandmatch. Garry

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

No North American airports have duty free upon arrival. Dumb of them and a topic the Canadian Government claimed they were investigating a year or so ago. Haven't heard anything more since.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,872 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Hi

if you buy at LAX make sure you know the rules about bringing it to Canada - A friend had a story to tell last week but I was not listening close enough to give you details. Something about not being allowed in carry on luggage??

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

That's correst. The duty free is not allowed as carry on luggage, you have to put it in your checked baggage (look out for overweight)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Some flights to Canada have on board duty free available. Check to see if your flight is eligible.

acdutyfree.com/index.php…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,177 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Garry, liquor in the U. S. is much cheaper than it is in British Columbia.

Which airline are you using from L. A. to Vancouver? Air Canada sells liquor on board a lot of their flights, WestJet does not.

Also, if you pre order your duty free from Air Canada ahead of time on line, there are some "specials" to be had.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

The issue is not what you can bring into Canada; it is bringing liquid on a plane.if you buy duty free at LAX they will typically bring it to the airplane door and you will be fine if Vancouver is your final destination 9and you within import limits for Canada, 1.14 liters of alcohol, I believe or 1.5 liters of wine pp.

However if you are on a connecting flight and have to go through security again, they will confiscate it Unless you can somehow get it into your chequed baggage.0 True as well for any liquid or gel including those silly overpriced cosmetics you might purchase at duty free.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,709 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Who's on First? ........

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free shopping on arrival at Vancouver Airport

Buy your duty free in LAX, we're flying with westjet from John Wayne airport to Vancover and John Wayne doesn't even have duty free. I feel totally ripped off seeings that I only fly every 5-10 years and i get down right excited about buying my cheap American cigarets and Bailies. And I guess westjet doesn't do on flight duty free.......