We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

jax
Level Contributor
134 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

We just returned from a trip to Canada. We rented a car from Hertz in Calgary (which was great) and one from Budget at the Vancouver airport. We have traveled all over the world and have rented many vehicles. The Budget at Vancouver airport was almost as bad as being in a car lot buying a car. Although we already had a reservation,they tried to sell us everything. I mean everything. They wanted to know exactly where we were going, how many people would be in the car, how many bags we had, how far we were driving,etc. After each question was another sells tactic. It took so long and was so annoying that we were getting very frustrated with him. The guy asked if my spouse would be driving and we said possibly. He added him on as additional driver. The bill at the end came out to be much more than my reservation. He said it was for the additional driver and he added it was only $10. (Try $10.00 per day plus taxes) We had him take it off since he failed to tell us that the additional driver would be extra. We would stick to one driver. After that, he acted angry and his pace went from snail to slug. Bottom line, try a different car rental company when renting from Vancouver airport.

43 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

Hi travelear ~

It looks like this company, airport location, got another one. If you search in this forum you will find about 3 threads that deal with this very company. When posters ask about car rental companies in advance of their travel, we point them to those threads. The Budget locations away from the airport, in the city, seem to be okay.

I've had some thoughts about this as posts have come in over the year. I think it would be an idea to consider emailing head office with your complaints. They may wish to know that one of their branches is working hard to affect their reputation.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,699 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

You travelled all over the world yet aren't aware that additional driver often costs extra?

To avoid future problems, always sign up for the rental company's rental card and use it to book, and you can skip all those silly questions.

Massarosa, Italy
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

I wish we had known about these dishonest business practices at the Budget Rent A Car located at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR).

Today, we returned our SUV that we picked up from downtown Vancouver and returned to the Vancouver Airport. Damages to the tire, noted on the pickup slip, were not acknowledged to be the same damages. They claim that scratches noted on the rim of the pickup slip are unrelated to scratches on the rubber of the same tire. Then, they demand the $375 damage deposit from our credit card.

I would advise travelers to check customer reviews of car rental agencies before booking. In addition take video or photos of your car rental upon pickup to guard against these dubious business practices. Budget Rent A Car does not honor their own damage information slips.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

The budget franchise at yvr is notorious for bad experiences. Many many bad reviews discussed here in the past.

Massarosa, Italy
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

This is an update to my post yesterday.

After researching this issue on the internet, I can confirm what CFSUN says, The budget franchise at yvr is notorious for bad experiences.

We are covered under our credit card insurance VISA and they will be following up this claim directly with this Budget Car Rental franchise. This franchise is VERY WELL KNOWN to VISA insurance claims.

After my submission to the Budget Head Office, they have requested details of this issue, noting that this Budget Car Rental is an independent franchise. I will update here on the Budget Head Office response.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

Budget YVR is well known amongst the local posters here as CFSUN says. Lesson learned for asking on the forums before you travel. We can't help posters if they don't ask. Look forward to hearing how it turns out for you. Budget head office may be very interested in how this franchise is affecting their company name!

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

I think that even the airport may be interested in the problems. Copie of complaints should also be sent to them.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,043 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

Good idea, gxp !

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,837 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

Maybe a link to all the threads on TA!!

10. Re: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:40 am, August 07, 2012

Reply to: Budget Car rental at Vancouver airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted