We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

Hi, is there dim sum available (not via menu but carts) at resaurants other than on Sundays' brunch?? Pls advise of a Chinese restaurant.

I fly out on a Sunday :(

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

where are you staying? dim sum is available on carts in many restaurants as their is a large Asian population here. The Imperial Restaurant located in the Marine Building in downtown, Vancouver, the Pink Pearl on Hastings Street would be a few ideas. Chinatown has many restaurants that still serve dim sum on carts, everyday!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

I've never seen dim sum....when it is served on carts, is each pitem priced individually or is it one standard price? Does one make a meal on dim sum...or is it more an appetizer before the meal? Sorry ... for the basic questions...but I would like to try it. Would Hons have dim sum on a cart or only in more "upscale" Chinese restaurants?

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

dim sum options on the cart are pretty much priced small, medium or large. small runs you from 1.50, 3.00 for medium and about 4.00 for large depending on the restaurant and portion size. yes, you can make a meal of dim sum. I have not been to Hon's for dim sum, though the one in Chinatown is most likely to serve their items on carts. will check that out for you tomorrow as I will swing by Chinatown to pick a few things up. happy eating!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

Thanks plang...looking forward to your response...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

I will be at Westin Bayshore, farther away from the action...so I am sure I will need to go to the Chinatown area. Unless Robson may have something?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

If Imperial Restaurant has carts like what the other poster said, it would be a lot closer than Chinatown. It's located on Burrard Street near Canada Place.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

halogen9, did you make it to the dim sum place of your wishes? how did it work out? hope you had a good time out here

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

Hi, as someone who goes to dim sum on almost a weekly basis, I thought I'd just offer my bit of advice.

The best dim sum places in Greater Vancouver are mostly located in Richmond. Kirin, Top Gun, and Shiang Garden are probably the best of the bunch. They are actually better than what you'd get in Hong Kong or China. However, they don't serve them on carts, you'd have to order them off a menu.

Imperial in Chinatown does serve dim sum on carts. The quality is above-average. Not excellent, but good, and the price is cheaper than the ones in Richmond. If you go before 11 am, I think you get 15% off every item. Aside from serving dim sum on carts, they also have a "food station" where you can order different types of congee, noodles, cakes, etc. So it is a good choice.

I wouldn't go to Hon's. It's more of a noodle house than a dim sum restaurant. None of their locations serve dim sum on carts, and I think the quality of the food isn't all that great.

Let me know if you need more information.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dim Sum--other than Sundays?

Oops, correction on above post.

The Chinatown restaurant I was referring to in my last post is called Floata, not Imperial (I tend to only remember the Chinese names for these places).

Floata has 2 locations, 1 in Richmond and 1 in Chinatown. The 1 in Chinatown is the one that has dim sum on carts and the "food station".

Sorry about the mix-up.