We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
266 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

We want to book a Vancouver tour and were originally thinking of the Trolley tour. Then we read about Tours by Locals that have chapters in all major world cities. It sounded more personal and informative than the bigger companies. Did one similar in NYC with a volunteer who lives in the city. He was awesome, answered all our questions and took us to some non-touristy spots too. Wanted to hear from locals who have sent friends there.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

I'm a local who has enthusiastically sent friends there when I don't have time to tour them around myself. :) But (BIG but!) I also do some writing for the company, so I am not an unbiased source of info. Have you looked at the reviews for ToursByLocals on TripAdvisor? I believe Paul Melhus was reviewed recently - he's not only a Vancouver guide; he's also the company President.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

I am writing to Thank Paul Melhus for this wonderful opportunity he has presented to guides all over the world, maybe passion drove him but He has put food on the table in many homes through Guides and through tips which are supposed to be donated.

I am A guide with toursbylocals In Nairobi Kenya And I am proud to be associated with TBL. I am full of praise because if all guides went through the same evaluation as I did then travellers shouldn't worry in their hands. Bon Voyage in all your travels in 2012! cheers!

Edited: 7:54 am, January 17, 2012
3. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 pm, January 06, 2013
4. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, June 11, 2013
5. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

Removed on: 6:05 pm, December 22, 2013
6. Re: TOURS BY LOCALS - review of guides?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 24, 2014