We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Vancouver

Concord, Ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Vancouver

Planning our first trip to Vancouver. Was hoping someone could give me some direction on what area to stay. We would like to stay somewhere that we can walk to restaurants and shops. A place with more of a mellow feel. Not a place where there are lots of parties, etc going on at all hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Not a lot to go on Clem. Depends on budget etc. I like the Wedgewood and the Metropolitan in DT Vancouver and they might suit you. Check out their ratings on here and their website.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

I recommend the West End.

Minutes away from EVERYTHING but more of a neighborhood

If you want a hotel try the Blue Horizon, or Listel

www.bluehorizonhotel.com

www.thelistelhotel.com

If you want an apartment/hotel try Robson Suites www.robsonsuitesvancouver.com

If you want a B&B try the West End Guest House

www.westendguesthouse.com

You will enjoy any of the above mentioned options! All are great prices and value as well!

Enjoy your trip!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Ditto on westenda's advice but would also add in our perrenial favourite, the Loden. Very mellow, quiet and a complete absence of parties. At the higher end of the $ scale but worth it.

http://theloden.com/

Concord, Ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It gives me a place to start my search. Thanks for the recommendations as well.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Clem13, since we are planning similar trips, I saw this posting of yours, too. If you haven't booked yet, it's worth looking atwww. vrbo.com. They have MANY wonderful condos in all parts of town (West End, Yaletown, Gastown, Kistlano, etc.) and the weekly rates are excellent. We've booked a studio condo in a high-rise in Yaletown for $550 for the week. There were many for me to choose from that ranged from this price to $1000 for the week (esp for some true 1 bedrooms and even 2 bedrooms). Good luck!

Concord, Ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Thanks! We actually just booked this past weekend at The Chocolate Lily in Kistlano. A bit away from downtown, but I think it will suit us just fine. Enjoy your trip early Aug, Please post or message me if you do anything super exciting. We will have our computer with us, so I'll check. Take care

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Well done, Clem! Kits Point is a little bit of Vancouver paradise. You've got parking included which is very good. It is a bit away from downtown but there is a bus line about 3 blocks away at Cornwall that will take you down Burrard St.

The thing about Kits Point is that it is extremely popular as it provides beach sand to sunbathe on, volleyball courts, an open air salt water pool. Your address is a few blocks away from that. And street parking is restricted to residents only. You couldn't be in a better position for a lovely evening walk along the waterside pathway. And a 20-25 minutes walk to Granville Island, all along the waterfront pathway.

If you walk straight south, and uphill :-{ (10-15 min) on Maple to 4th Avenue, you will be in the middle of all kinds of restaurants and shops you could ask for.

Your B&B is just behind the trees in this photo, just about in line with the chalk white highrise:

underwaterfilmproduction.com/picture_library…

Edited: 7:36 pm, January 17, 2011
Concord, Ca
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Thanks MuftiMixandmatch! Now I'm even more excited! We are staying 5 nights, but I'm almost wondering if we should add one more! Is that the saltwater pool that I see in the photo? I have never been on such helpful forums. You Canadians are great and friendly people. I can't wait to visit.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

Fourth Ave has some great restaurants.. Pastis for bistro French can't be beat. .. and Sophie's Cosmic cafe is fun for breakfast. Definitly stay 6 nights if you can.. lots of things to do here. We can point you in a particular direction if you suggest interests. Thank you for the compliment about our "niceness". You may have heard the joke about the Canadians

"How do you spot a canadian when travelling? S/he's the one that thanks the ATM machine"

BTW are you driving up or flying in? and have you said when you are coming? (I may have missed it in another post)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Vancouver

t47 - lololololololol. And probably says "sorry" too :-)

Clem - yes that's the open air HEATED salt water pool. 137 m / 150 yards - Canada's longest pool. Thanks for complimenting us. I'll keep that handy for when another Canadian cuts me off in traffic. haha