We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Italian Restaurant?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best Italian Restaurant?

I'm in LOVE with lasagna and would like to know the best Italian restaurant in Vancouver with the best lasagna (and good wine)! :)

A romantic atmosphere is a plus, but not required. I'm not too fond of the same 'ole chains, so something unique would be great. Nothing to break the bank also.

Know where I can find such a place in Vancouver? I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn near Robson and we won't be renting a car.

Vancouver, bc
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Hello OhCurious, I work in the restaurant industry in Vancouver and happen to be Italian so you are in luck. Chiopinos' in Yaletown is known as the top-wop reataurant, however it WILL break your bank. La tereezza is also a fine restaurant, located near denman st. There is a very touristy resaurant in gastown to which the name escapes me. but if you like my current suggestions lemme know and I shall get the name for yah.

peace'

steve

Vancouver
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Try Ammacord Restaurant in Yaletown.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

Incendio's is a fantastic casual Italian restaurant in Gastown, although they have a second location (a tad more romantic) on Burrard Street, just across the bridge from downtown. www.incendio.ca is their website.

I thought I'd also copy and paste Vancouver Magazine's 16th Annual Restaurant Awards Italian categories for you, as it would give you an idea of what else is out there:

Taken from www.vanmag.com/16th/restaurant_awards.html:

Best Italian Fine Dining Results

Cioppino’s/Enoteca (combined) (83 points)

1129 Hamilton St., 604-685-8462

CinCin (48 points)

1154 Robson St., 604-688-7338

Bis Moreno (46 points)

1355 Hornby St., 604-669-2812

Villa del Lupo (42 points)

869 Hamilton St., 604-688-7436

Quattro on Fourth (40 points)

2611 W. Fourth Ave., 604-734-4444

Lunchtime at next-door Enoteca may offer “the very best reason I know of to eat garlic-infused, spit-roasted chicken off that French rotisserie,” as one critic put it. But the real reason to attend Cioppino’s comes at night, because “Pino’s inspired hand is always on the kitchen’s rudder. And for pure theatre, most nights it beats anything on stage at the Playhouse.” Of course that’s at Cioppino’s, a repeat Gold winner of this category with 83 points. And in a city that now enjoys one of the best Italian dining scenes in the country, Cioppino’s may have risen to the top because “Pino is simply the most demanding, technically perfect chef in the city. He brings together many southern European flavours in his dauntingly long menus, yet the result always tastes as though it was easy. It’s not.”

CinCin (Silver, 48 points) lost its long-time chef, Romy Prasad, to the attractions of starting his own restaurant across the street. But many found consolation in CinCin’s inviting rooms, citing that the restaurant is “relaxed, casual and always more than you bargained for. Great range of wines at fair prices.” The kitchen apparently hasn’t changed, confirmed by one judge who said, “Jack Evrensel is one of the few owners in town who can take the loss of a name chef and not miss a heartbeat.” Bis Moreno (Bronze, 46 points), which won our Best New Fine Dining award last year, has settled in for what many hope will be a very long run. “Admirable regional focus,” reported one judge, while another said it’s “pasta as high culinary art.” Yet another liked chef Moreno Miotto’s “sleek take in every aspect of the room and menu.”

Best Casual Italian Results

Zambri’s (56 points)

110-911 Yates St., Victoria, 250-360-1171

Café Il Nido (22 points)

780 Thurlow St., 604-685-6436

Lombardo’s (21 points)

1641 Commercial Dr., 604-251-2240

Cipriano’s (18 points)

3995 Main St., 604-879-0020

Gusto di Quattro (10 points)

1 Lonsdale Ave., 604-924-4444

This new category, focussed on value Italian, describes the way many city dwellers like to eat out mid-week: casually and fuss-free, with a good bottle of wine and few contusions from the bill.Many found that precise combination at Victoria’s Zambri’s, which upset Lower Mainland entries to claim Gold with 56 points. And one judge in particular thought that Zambri’s low cost menu trumped its more expensive sibs: “Miles ahead of any other experiences this year in either Italian category. No tricks, fresh ingredients, house-cured salami and pancetta, and skillfully conjured, undeniable flavours.”

Silver medallist Café Il Nido (22 points) is a long-time West End favourite “for its great neighbourhood feel, strongly loyal clientele and a menu that changes just often enough to keep them that way.” The bronze award goes to Lombardo’s (21 points) because, in one judge’s words, “the dodgy location (let’s go for lunch in a mall!) somehow manages to be a plus. Something is being done right when a bottle of Verdicchio tastes so good. Can’t argue with the prices, or the size of serving.”

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Italian Restaurant?

And whatever you do, please avoid the touristy places in Gastown like the Old Spaghetti Factory, or the touristy Macaroni Grill on Davie Street.