We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

uni
Cailfornia
4 posts
Save Topic
Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

Help please! My girlfriend and I will be spending our Christmas in Vancouver from Dec 22-27. We want to go to a romantic formal restaurant. My girlfriend bought a black cocktail dress for the dinner, and I want to take her to a nice restaurant where she will not feel awkward being the only one too dressed up. I have been reading about West quite a bit, but it seems too loud for the occasion and a bit more casual which is great for our other nights.

Which is more dressy, Bacchus or Lumiere? Or is there a better place? Are the customers, mainly dressed formal?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

Sadly, the $$$ doesn't always eliminate the guy in jeans and a Harley Davidson T-shirt in Vancouver. My biggest beef with Vancouver is the lack of style or sophistication....rube factor still on high.

For a quality spot, I would recommend the following, C, Lumiere, Diva at the Met or West. I have eaten at all of these. Bacchus ( at the Wedge I think) is also recommended, but I have not eaten there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

I agree, Vancouver's really casual when it comes to dress. I can't think of one restaurant with a formal dress code, although you'd certainly look out of place wearing jeans or t-shirts at Lumiere or West, not the other way around.

However, to be certain, I'd suggest asking this question at www.chowhound.com on the Canada forum, where many people have dined at Lumere, West, Bacchus, Diva, etc - they'd be able to tell you. For the most part, you'd expect to see people dressed up in those restaurants.

Side note - one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver is Parkside, where you wouldn't feel out of place wearing a cocktail dress if you so felt like it - www.parksiderestaurant.ca

uni
Cailfornia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

Thank you very much for the advise! As for noise level, I heard West is loud, so I plan to go on another night, but Parkside I have read about and I am interested in this place. Would you consider this place low light, soft music, with a nice romantic feel? Sorry for so many questions. I just want this to be close to perfect for my girlfriend, because although we have been dating about 5 years, this will be our first Christmas actually together. Our jobs have always kept us away in different countries, and this will be our first to be together during this season.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendation on romantic restaurant where majority...

Uni--

My wife and I enjoy Le Crocodile, an excellent French restaurant. I always wear a jacket and tie, and my wife wears a nice dress.

Bon appetit

Bruce