We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rockies weather

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
rockies weather

hi, going to the west coast for 3 weeks (can +us)in november. just wondering what the temp will be in vancouver and the rockies(banff area) .

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rockies weather

The weather at the coast tends to be mild, often rainy. By mild I mean near 0 degrees, as opposed to below that number. Those of us who live inland think that's mild. lol.

Banff is closer to home for me, so I am more familiar with their weather. In November you will generally find the temperature to be between 0 and -15. A lot of snow is not uncommon. The end of November will likely be colder than the earlier half of the month. Today we hit +15 celsius (on the prairie) and Banff was about the same.

I'm sure you've heard that our weather is unpredictable. I guess the best I can say is that you should be prepared for extreme weather while you're here, and hopefully you'll be rewarded with better than that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rockies weather

Know that Vancouver and the Rockies are about a 12 hour drive (one full time zone away) from eachother, so the temperatures between those two will be very, very different. As already said, expect Vancouver's weather to be almost identical to what I imagine you get in Wales. Temperatures will likely hover around 10 degrees Celsius, and rain will be the norm.

Once you head inland, you get less precipitation, but more extremes in terms of temperatures. It will certainly be colder once you move a few hours inland away from the coast. As well, since there are several mountain chains between Vancouver and the Rockies (with the Rockies being the most famous), the weather fluctuates depending on whether you're on the east side of the mountain chain (which is drier), or the west side of the mountains (which is wetter). And of course, the more you gain in altitude, the colder it gets. November can mean snow in the mountains, but not necessarily snow at lower altitudes.