We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Vancouver

nashville, tn
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather in Vancouver

We are planning our trip for September or October of 2006. Is that time of year too "wintery"? Will there be snow and ice everywhere? I was under the impression that it will NOT be like that but please correct me if I'm wrong. I know this has been posted on before but bear with me! Also, is early fall considered the off time for vacationers? Will room rates be cheaper at this time? Or do I have it backwards? Thanks for any info.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Vancouver

Snow in Vancouver is rare, even during the dead of winter (ie: January/February) - "wintery" in Vancouver means grey skies and rain ;). I don't know if you're familiar with Seattle at all, but essentially Vancouver's weather is identical to Seattle's weather. Vancouver might get 1-3 snowfalls each winter, which then prompty melt away the next day. This is all because of the coastal winds. Even though Vancouver is further north than the 48 states of the USA, it's still warmer in the winter than the majority of your northern states.

For the most part, Vancouver's winters rarely fall below freezing, so even if you were to visit in the dead of winter, y

October is still autumn here. This means the leaves are changing colour... it can be warm during the afternoon but it will be somewhat colder in the morning and evening. Still, it never goes below freezing. Generally temperatures hover around 10 degrees Celsius. I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit, but it's probably close to 50-55F?

October can also be rain... so do be prepared for it. It's not torrential downpour, but sporadic, on-and-off light rains, and almost never any thunderstorms (which are rare here).

Today I'm wearing brown leather boots, jeans, and a long-sleeved shirt, with a light zip-up jacket. It's overcast today... no wind. It's too warm to be wearing winter clothing (big winter jackets) and yet, it's too cool to be wearing summer clothing (shorts, tanktops).

October is generally a slower month in Vancouver. There are several Halloween events that happen through the month, and we just had our Thanksgiving long weekend. Things should be relatively cheaper than the summer months.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Vancouver

ack... forgot to finish a sentence! I was going to say, even if you were to visit in the dead of winter, you could find snow on the peaks of the local mountains (a 20 minute drive away), but you'd have to prepare for temperatures in the upper 30's and 40's F, and expect overcast skies and rain. That's essentially a Vancouver winter. :) It's the warmest place in Canada during winter, quite a different place in winter than from what most people imagine "Canada" to be!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Vancouver

(and once again, I forgot to elaborate)... you could find snow on the peaks of the local mountains here in Vancouver during the winter, but once you get out of the mountains and get back to sea-level elevations, what was snow in the mountains is rain in Vancouver. So rain in Vancouver means snow on the mountains.

... and there is no snow on the local mountains yet. So that also gives you an indication as to the weather here. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,169 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Vancouver

I just realized, as I was driving home today, that the temperature was 14 degrees C, which is about 57 F. That was at 5pm. So that's more accurate info. :)

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
573 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Vancouver

I would definatively come in september for better weather. it does start to get a wet end of sept, oct ect... rainy. thats what our winters are like. we usually have only a few days of snow a year except for those freaky years...

room rates start to go down a bit but still not slow season.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in Vancouver

We do not get snow very often. If you come in September, the weather will be mild with mostly light showers. Yes room rates should be cheaper beginning late September until April when the busy summer season begins to pickup.