We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbour air seaplane whale watching trip.

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Harbour air seaplane whale watching trip.

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the Harbour Air Sea Plane whale watching trip from Vancouver. I have looked on the website, and it says that the whale watching 'expedition' is 3hrs long and there is additional time to enjoy Vuctoria at no extra charge. Does anyone know how long the full trip is, including the time in Victoria?

Also, I am from the UK and there seems to be no on-line facility to book this trip, we arrive in Vancouver on 15th September, and we would like to do this trip on Sun 18th - is it likely to be booked up or we will be ok to book this trip when we arrive? Could this be done by the hotel concierge? (We are staying at the Metropolitan). We really don't want to miss out!!

Thank you very much for any info.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,016 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbour air seaplane whale watching trip.

Hmmm.

Well, I've never heard about this trip before, but I can give you some insider's tips on whale watching.

Harbour Air is a local sea plane company that has charters between the cities of Vancouver and Victoria. Rather than driving onto the ferry across to Vancouver Island (where Victoria is), some people prefer to take the sea plane, as it's much faster (although much more expensive).

Victoria is a tourist destination because many people find it cute, quaint, and charming, and many North Americans feel like they're in England when they visit, because of the red double decker buses, the emphasis of the British colonial heritage, the Union Jack, the horse-drawn carriages, etc. It's a bit fake, although the closest thing many North Americans get to experiencing going to England (or at least a romanticized version of how they imagine England!).

Now, Victoria is also home to many whale watching companies. There are 3 pods of orcas (aka: killer whales) that live in the waters between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Due to the high tourism industry in Victoria, there are many whale watching companies based out of there too. The trips take about 3 hours - an hour and a bit to go out and find the whales, 20 minute or so to watch the whales, then just over an hour to travel back to Victoria. Every whale watching company in Victoria will be going to the same place to see the whales, as the whales swim around in big circles throughout the day, so they're always in the area. It doesn't matter which company you go with, because everyone goes to see the same whales.

Now, if you were only going to Victoria to take a whale watching trip, but weren't planning to go to Victoria otherwise, you might actually want to consider going whale watching in Vancouver instead. It might save you time and money.

Like Victoria, the whale watching companies in Vancouver are going to the exact same places to see the whales, so it doesn't really matter if you're leaving from Victoria or Vancouver. The whale watching companies out of Vancouver take a bit longer... their trips range between 3 to 5 hours, because they have a bit further to travel on the water. However, they are going to the same spots the Victoria companies are going to, and they're going to see the exact same whales.

There are 3 companies that leave from Vancouver. They are:

Wild Whales Vancouver - http://www.whalesvancouver.ca/

Vancouver Whale Watch - www.vancouverwhalewatch.com

Steveston Seabreeze Adventure - http://www.seabreezeadventures.ca/

I'm just letting you know of these options in case you thought that the only way to see whales was to travel first to Victoria by sea plane.