We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries and going without a car in BC

Kila, Montana
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries and going without a car in BC

I'm trying to work out a route that includes Victoria, Vancouver, and San Juan Island. I need my car on San Juan, but maybe not in BC? Would it be feasible to travel without one, leaving the car and taking a ferry from Port Angeles, and spending 2 or 3 days each in Victoria and Vancouver? I live in the land of wide open spaces and NO public transportation, so this would be a leap of faith.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
172 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries and going without a car in BC

Hello, you definitely do not need a car in Victoria and Vancouver.

You can walk everywhere in Victoria. If you want to go to the famous Butchart Gardens. Gray Line Tours offers a bus service which leaves from the Empress Hotel.

If you have time do not miss a whale watching trip.

In Vancouver, you can also walk to most places downtown. The transit system is quite good for places like Grouse Mountain which is in North Vancouver.

To get from Victoria to Vancouver, take PCL bus lines. They will drive you to and from the Ferry Docks which are each about a half hour outside of the cities.

Alternately, you can take a floatplane from downtown to downtown; it is a lovely flight.

Have a great time!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries and going without a car in BC

I agree... you don't need a car in Victoria or Vancouver. A car would probably be necessary on San Juan Island (much like it is in the Gulf Islands - the same chain of islands but on the Canadian side of the border).

Victoria is a tiny city, so you can see most of it on foot. Downtown Vancouver is small, walkable and compact as well, and the outlying attractions are all acessible by public transit, whether it's bus, skytrain or seabus. Vancouver's public transit is excellent... and I know, as I'm a rider myself.

Translink is Vancouver's public transit company. They have a Trip Planning link on their website where you can enter in 2 addresses, intersections, or a landmarks, and it will give you the exact bus schedule and instructions on how to go between the 2 locations.

As for time allocation, I'd spend no more than 2 days in Victoria but no less than 3 days in Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries and going without a car in BC

Translink's website is www.translink.bc.ca