We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sights in Quebec city

usa
Level Contributor
225 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
sights in Quebec city

plan to go to Quebec in july and would appreciate suggestions of not to miss attractions and restuarants.

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sights in Quebec city

brevin:

Although people from Vancouver have certainly travelled to Quebec, why not get your advice from the horse's mouth? There is nothing that qualifies Vancouverites to speak to the issue, as opposed to some one from Toronto, or Winnipeg, or even New York. British Columbia and Quebec are thousands of miles apart.

Do you have a specific destination in mind? The Laurentians and Eastern Townships are popular summer destinations. The 2 big cities are Montreal and Quebec City, both very different in character. I suggest that you post on those forums.

Having said that, I lived in Montreal short term and have visted mutiple times and can offer a few suggestions. In Montreal, you must go to the Botanical Gardens and the Old City. Some people think the Notre Dame Cathedral there rivals the original in Paris. I don't know about that, but it is beautiful. The comedy museum is always fun. Climbing the mountain is also great exercise and you get some good views. There are multiple festivals in Montreal. Check a calendar. You may be there??? for the Jazz Festival or Just for Laughs (comedy festival). The McGill campus is quite lovely. If you have kids, there is La Ronde, an amusement park on the old Expo 67 site and a nice ride by boat.

Montreal is a cafe society. Lots of outdoor cafes and open air bistros and brasseries. I highly recommend dining on moules et frites with a good beer or cool sauvignon blanc and watching the very interesting and stylish citizens go by. St. Laurent and St. Denis are nice for a stroll. Laurier too. There are also some good galleries. Shopping is good on St. Catherines and Sherbrook.

For fine dining, I recommend Toque. Alexander's ??? and Bici were also very good. Hot smoked meat sandwiches are a must. There is Schwartz's, a virtual insitution, or Reuben's which I prefer: I think the meat is better and you can get a beer and you don't have to sit with others, but this is a matter of taste. There are also some other dishes that you must try in Quebec: poutine-french fries with gravy and melted cheddar cheese-and sugar or maple pie. Of course there's always French Canadian pea soup, but you'll be there in the summer when it's hot. The croissants are great. So is the coffee.

Bon Appetit et Bon Chance!