We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Hi

We are staying 7 days in vancouver at the Sunset Inn and Suites and wanted to know the closest supermarkets/grocery stores to the hotel.

The hotel is on Burnaby St, near the corner of Thurlow St.

I know there is a Safeway on Davie closer to Stanley Park.. If I went there what bus would I take?

Thanks for any help... :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

I think the bus is the #5 - it's basically the only bus that goes up and down Davie Street. You could walk there from your hotel in 10 minutes or less.

There's a Safeway, but also a SuperValu on Davie, or if you walk a few blocks north along Burrard Street, there's an IGA Marketplace. There's also a London Drugs (for snacks/drinks/junkfood) and a Shopper's Drug Market, and smaller grocers, like Kin's Farm Market (good for veggies/fruit) and Cobb's bakery (which I'm sure you're familiar with!)

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

theres also an xtra foods in the denman place mall , much cheaper( but less selection) than safeway

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

btw cob's is actually baker's delight there

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Might we also recommend you check out Capers on the bottom of Robson Street, lots of fresh and organic grocery items. All within a 10 minute walk of your 'home'.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Caper's is great, but it's much further than a 10 minute walk from the corner of Burnaby street and Thurlow though! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Thanks for all the information.....

I am happy to know I can get "Bakers Delight" or Cobbs Bakery bread... I did not know they had stores in Canada..

It is nice bread... Do they do bagels in Canada? They don't here...

thanks.... :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Bagels in Vancouver are hit-or-miss. For a really authentic bagel you might have to go to Solly's in East Vancouver or some other such place. Most of what passes for bagels here is a round puffy bread thing with some topping like tomato, ie a "pizza bagel". If you want a real, dense, authentic bagel it's better to try specialty bakeries or delis. We do have them, though!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

Strange, I almost never see bagels with pizza sauce toppings (other than frozen bagel bites at Costco, or pizza pretzels). :) Siegel's Bagels on Cornwall, just west of Burrard, is another idea for fresh baked bagels. There's also a Solly's on the north side of Broadway, just west of Macdonald.

Whether Cobb's sells bagels, I'm not sure. I don't think so. Cobb's is a relatively new phenomenon, only having opened in the past 2-3 years.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

note: i would say cobb's is not considered by locals to be that good of a bakery , there are sooo many better options here

10. Re: supermarket/grocery stores in vancouver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 11, 2009