We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Vancouver in June

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to Vancouver in June

Will be travelling to Vancouver in June, will not have a vehicle and my 70 year old aunt and I are staying at the Pacific Palisaides hotel, and since this was a package deal, not staying in a suite, any suggestions about the hotel? is this hotel situated near everything like all the tourist places, Granville Island, Gastown etc. As my aunt has some difficulty walking long distances any ideas on transportation ideas to see the sights would be appreciated as to any reasonably priced restaurants near the hotel. She loves a big breakfast, any good restaurants near by for that??

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,600 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Gastown
Gastown
4,740 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
L'Hermitage Hotel
L'Hermitage Hotel
#1 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
#2 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
Loden Hotel
Loden Hotel
#3 of 92 hotels in Vancouver
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

You'll be in a good location for food choices. My personal breakfast favourite is White Spot, a Vancouver original; there is one a couple of blocks from your hotel. The hotel is not near Granville Island or Gastown etc. though it is on Robson St, major shopping street.

To get around you could look into the Vancouver Trolley Tours as the offer hop on hop off privileges and have one stop a block west of your hotel or 2 blocks east of your hotel then stops at all the tourist locations. With the trolley youcan also stay on for a tour around the city if your legs are tired. Public transit is also fairly good though you'd likely be changing buses a bit.

Mentioned in this post
White Spot
White Spot
585 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,600 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Gastown
Gastown
4,740 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

Hello Armie37,

Pacific Pallisades is a wonderful choice! I dont know if you are familiar with the this hotel, they are a part of the Kimpton chain which is a really neat/modern hotel chain based out of San Francisco. The Pacific Pallisades, however is an older hotel which looks as though it once were apartments. The inside suites are nice with a modern decor. It wont look like much on the outside but Im sure you will be pleased with your room and the facility. A lot of celebrities entertain here as well.

Like most Kimpton hotels, they feature a "wine hour" from 5-6pm daily in the front foyer. Here you can meet other guests in the hotel or simply enjoy the ambiance over a couple complimentary glasses of red/white wine. There may even be some entertainment like a fortune teller or so.. Again, I am not entirely sure if this property does it (as I know the Sir Francis Drake in San Francisco is one of the very few that doesnt offer the wine hour), but if so - do take advantage of it. Seattle's Hotel Monaco does it and you can also have a pet gold fish sent to your room in a fish bowl attached with the fishes name. It's very cool. Something out of the ordinary.

You are in a perfect location as the previous poster said.. lots to see and do. You can enjoy the shopping and restaurants along Robson Street (one block from your hotel) and enjoy nice walks along Coal Harbor (just a few blocks down to the water from your hotel). As for a restaurant you may enjoy is O'Douls at the Listel hotel across the way from you on Robson Street, Cin Cin for something a little more fancy also on Robson Street.. make sure you stop by Mondo Gelato for a nice desert (Italian Ice Cream) also located on Robson street.

Have a wonderful time in Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Robson Street
Robson Street
1,426 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
The Listel Hotel Vancouver
The Listel Hotel...
2,455 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

Thank you both for your replies, I do much appreciate it, when you talk about a trolley do you mean the Grayline bus tours?? (took one in New York) or are you actually talking about trolley's and where would I find more information about these??

Just how far of a walk is Gastown and Granville Island?? Should I think about taxi's?? hated those in New York...had upset stomachs before we got to our destinations!!

Thank you again for the restaurant choices, will try them out.

Mentioned in this post
Gastown
Gastown
4,740 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,600 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

I think they're referring to the Vancouver Trolley service. Their website is www.vancouvertrolley.com - it'll give you an idea of what to expect.

Gastown, in my opinion, is a bit of a tourist trap, so while a quick visit is alright, I wouldn't make it a huge priority. It would be a good 20 minute walk to get to Gastown from the Palisades hotel I'm estimating... you'd have to walk from Robson & Jervis a block over to Bute, then to Thurlow, then to Burrard, then to Hornby, then to Howe, then down a block to W Pender, then to W Hastings, then to W Cordova, then a block over to Granville, and then to Seymour where Gastown really starts. While I wouldn't mind the walk as a 24 year old, if I was a 70 year old with walking difficulties, it wouldn't be my idea of easy.

Likewise, Granville Island would require a 20 minute walk south to False Creek, over to the False Creek Ferries, and then it's only a 5 minute boat ride across.

Taxis are plentiful and cheap, however, and I'd imagine not quite as insane as in NYC. You can take a cab from the Palisades to Gastown in about 5 minutes, and it shouldn't cost you more than $7. It would probably cost $7-$12 to cab it over to Granville Island.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Gastown
Gastown
4,740 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
The Burrard
The Burrard
1,857 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Granville Island
Granville Island
15,600 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
False Creek
False Creek
867 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
False Creek Ferries
False Creek Ferries
1,498 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
British Columbia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

I LOVE the Pallisades. Last time I was there I shared the gym with Charlie Sheen. It's is a ruly great location and you'll have a wonderful time. There's a really good little storefront burrito place only a block or 2 away on Robson. Very nearby is O'Doul's - best stead I think I've ever had.

Santa Monica
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

Hi, it's been awhile since I've been to B.C., but these are some of my favorite things to do there. In Vancouver, do not miss the spectacular archeological museum on the university campus!!! There's also a lovely Japanese garden nearby. Stanley Park is beautiful. We love the Ferguson Point Tea House in the park for brunch or an early dinner. Have reservations, get good directions, and ask to be seated in the garden room. Also in the park are beautiful gardens (roses), totem poles and a lily pond. Again, you need good directions for the lily pond. I also like the Van Dusen garden, but there are a lot of other gardens in the city you might want to check out. You absolutely need a car for all of this, or be willing to take taxis.

Victoria also has a very good anthropogical museum. The harbor tour is pleasant. There are several places in and around town to have afternoon tea, including the famous Empress hotel (never tried it myself). Don't forget the world famous Buschart Gardens north of town. It's over the top for my taste, but I do like the fountain displays. The Sooke Harbor Inn has a health conscious restaurant where they serve food grown in their gardens. It's located on a beautiful beach. But you might want to check out the prices as it too has become famous. I hope you and your aunt enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
23,572 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sooke
Sooke
Vancouver Island, Canada
Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
55 Reviews
Whidbey Island, WA
Santa Monica
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

This is RamblinRose again. I meant to say the anthropological museum on the B.C. University campus, not archeological museum. The architecture, location and collection of native American art are all spectacular and well worth the trip out of town.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Vancouver in June

an addendum to ramblin rose.. the UBC Museum of Anthropology is out of the downtown core.. about 20 minutes drive tops! not exactly out of town! and it is well worth a visit it is always top of my list for people to visit..

Mentioned in this post
Museum of Anthropology
Museum of Anthropology
3,195 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada