We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good breakfast spot

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Good breakfast spot

I'm looking for a good breakfast spot, I'll be travelling by car from the airport to Whistler, so anywhere in the dowtown area will do. Kits area maybe? Yaletown? Robson?

Good fast service is important to me, so Cafe Barney is out. Not interested in Tim Horton's. I'm lookig for a real breakfast, omlettes, pancakes, hash brown, etc.

I've been to Van many times, but I'm bringing some friends who are 1st timers, so somehting in a "cool" part of town would be best.

Thanks!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good breakfast spot

Trolls in Horsehoe Bay

Tomahawk Restaurant in North Van

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,010 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good breakfast spot

Vancouver isn't really a city full of good breakfast spots. Options tend to be limited.

People will suggest Sophie's Cosmic Cafe, which is pretty much a glorified greasy spoon. I'd skip it.

Likewise, you'll hear recommendations for the Elbow Room - another place I'd skip. Their gimmick is that they insult their patrons and give bad service on purpose... and people gladly pay for it!

Milestones, although a local higher end chain restaurant, is where I'll go sometimes for brunch. The Yaletown location has a nice patio.

Saying that, I'd probably go for Provence Marinaside. They have a nicer patio and a lovely waterfront view over the marina:

http://www.provencevancouver.com/marinaside

Another idea is Chill Winston in Gastown, although I haven't had brunch there yet... people seem to like it, as long as you're aware that Gastown can have your fair share of panhandlers harassing you (and perhaps a rude awakening to first time visitors). Locals or frequent visitors tend to be more immune to that aspect of Gastown.

http://www.chillwinston.ca/

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good breakfast spot

Thanks Robyn, those 2 places look a little too upscale for my tastes.

A basic breakfast place, is fine with me, a place that is known for breakfasts. I'm OK with greasy spoons if the food is good.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good breakfast spot

I'll second Milestones. I ate breakfast at the one on Denman and Davy and would highly recommend it. It's across the street from Sunset Beach, great view! (the poached eggs on foccacia were to die for!!!)

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good breakfast spot

I've enjoyed the Caffe Artigiano at 740 W Hastings, which serves brunch from 8am to 3pm, 7 days/week. The menu is limited but they do have some egg and french toast breakfast options (the stuffed french toast was fab), plus the coffee is excellent. See http://www.caffeartigiano.com/locations.html. Other locations serve only coffee and pastries for breakfast.

I haven't eaten here, but Paul's Place Omelettery 2211 Granville might suit your needs. See http://www.omelettery.com/. They serve eggs, corned beef hash, etc. They are just south of the Granville bridge.

There used to be a great website for breakfast in Vancouver by the name of breakfastarmada.com, but it has gone by the wayside.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good breakfast spot

The Tomahawk in North Van may be what you are looking for...greasy spoon but loved by many (including me!)

You would probably enjoy Sophie's on 4th but if you are looking for "fast" service forget it, there is usually a line. The food is pretty good IMO but basic breaksfast fare.

Milestones on English Bay would be great for first timers to Van -- I wouldn't consider it upscale but it has most of the basics (no pancakes as I recall) plus some very delicious specialties. That location is great.

You say you are looking for fast service, which is pretty much impossible to find on a weekend morning, but if you are passing through on a weekday you should be okay anywhere.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good breakfast spot

Here's a new Vancouver foodie forum I came across: z7.invisionfree.com/The_Mess_Hall/index.php… You might be able to ask them about places that don't require too much of a detour from your route.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good breakfast spot

http://www.dinehere.ca/results.asp?c=14

This should have everything you need.

Highly recommend the restaurant on Southeast corner of King Edward and Main for breakfast but be damned if I can remember their name. Enroute from airport too.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good breakfast spot

..shann... Helen's Grill? I just went past it today..

Vancouver
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Good breakfast spot

Go the The Sunshine Diner in Kits (just east of McDonald on West Broadway). Definitely avoid Sophie's, unless you liking lining up for mediocre food. Sunshine's food is good, prices are reasonable (say 8.95 or so for Eggs Benny), the theme is, well, diner retro with lots of Elvis and Cadillacs and vinyl. Further west on Broadway (3100 block, south side) is the hole in the wall Nemoto Cafe. I will likely be killed for revealing this secret, but it's a mom and pop breakfast cafe. Bacon and Eggs, including coffee, is 6.99. The last time my wife and I went, this bought each of us 3 eggs plus eight, yes eight, strips of bacon! Well, you want breakfast!