We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in Vancouver

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Diving in Vancouver

We're planning a trip to Vancouver in July. We got our open water scuba certification last summer and are itching to use it! I read on Lonely Planet that the diving is good in Georgia Strait. What can you tell me about it? Where's a good place to rent equipment? Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in Vancouver

Big dive area is just north of Vancouver in Porteau Cove. I am not into diving at all, but I understand the following: Cold and limited visibility, but an amazing level of aquatic life. No idea on local dive shops, use google.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in Vancouver

not vancouver but again north, is the sunshine coast (around powell river) they are reknowned to have some of the best cold water diving anywhere

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in Vancouver

not vancouver but again north, is the sunshine coast (around powell river) they are reknowned to have some of the best cold water diving anywhere

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in Vancouver

If you are open to the possibility of going to Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island for a few days, then I would recommend diving there, there are a few good wrecks (2 deep dives) and one shallow wreck right off Duke Point in Nanaimo. There are also other good reef dives, and wall dives.

I have dove there many times.

A place called the Buccaneer Inn http://www.buccaneerinn.com/index.htm caters to divers and to top it off, it is only about a 3 minute walk to a fantabulous bar/restaurant (Muddy Waters)---very good eats and close enough to crawl back to the hotel, and the Ocean Explorers Dive Shop (they rent gear too)

The Buccaneer Inn does accomm/dive packages with Ocean Explorers.

Check out their, full of fantastic information web site. You may become convinced.

Remember................the water will be quite a bit colder than the Texas area.

Cheers,

Georgina

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
5. Re: Diving in Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, September 02, 2009