We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching

Brooklyn, NY
1 post
Save Topic
whale watching

We will be in Vancouver for 4 nights in mid May, then traveling to Whidbey Island overnight on our way to Seattle. I'd like to know if there are good whale watching sites nearby. Are there any boat rides that don't require 5 to 7 hour commitment without any assurance of sighting whales.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching

May be something near Whidbey but there isn't in Vancouver. you need at least 2 hours to get out to whale places and then 2 back..plus some time actually looking for whales... and there are never any guarantees.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching

Actually, there have been whale watching companies based out of Greater Vancouver for over seven years now... they're just not located in downtown Vancouver, but they're located about a 30-40 minute drive away. I recently posted some responses to other whale-watching related posts, but the two companies I would seek out would be Steveston Seabreeze Adventures, and Vancouver Whale Watch. Both depart from Steveston which is south of Vancouver, and I know that at least VWW is able to pick up passengers from downtown Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Whale Watch
Vancouver Whale Watch
620 Reviews
Richmond, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching

BC Robyn is right there are companies in greater Vancouver.. that being said you still need to get from downtown Vancouver to Richmond which is about 45 minutes and entails having a car.. or finding a company that will pick you up.. then you have to go out for 2 hours..etc etc..I know local people who have done the whale watching trip.. all felt it was a nice boat ride, a long boat ride and there were a lot of other boats all looking for the same whales!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Richmond
Richmond
British Columbia, Canada
;