We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
2 reviews
canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Is it best to take the train from Vancouver to Banff then rent car? Six night trip.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
28 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

The only train to Banff is the really expensive Rocky Mountain Excursion. Driving is the best way so you can stop along the way.

What does a 6 night trip mean? You want to stop for 6 nights along the way or is it 6 nights total with includes seeing ?

this is a forum for the Canadian Rockies which has things to do etc when using a web browser

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g659487…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
52 reviews
99 helpful votes
2. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Which train? Have you researched this at all?

When?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
23,668 posts
132 reviews
191 helpful votes
3. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

In general, driving is a better option because you have the freedom to stop and see whatever you like, on your own schedule. If you take the train to Banff, you'll want to rent a car once there

It would be helpful to have more details about your trip, as mentioned. Six nights for Vancouver to Banff? How many more nights for Banff? Then where?

We usually recommend a minimum of 8 or 9 days for driving from Vancouver to the Rockies - 2 days to drive across BC, and about six days split between Banff and Jasper. Then, exiting via Calgary. This is for a one-way trip, and does not include time in either Vancouver or Calgary. You'd want closer to two weeks if it's a round trip, or to spend time in both cities.

If you are interested in trains, you can take the Rocky Mountaineer (luxury tour train with price tag to match) to either Banff or Jasper - www.rockymountaineer.com - OR VIA Rail (Canada's version of Amtrak) from Vancouver to Jasper. www.viarail.ca . The Rocky Mountaineer takes two days to get to Banff from Vancouver; the train travels only in the daytime and you overnight in a hotel in Kamloops. VIA runs all through the night; it's 20 hours or so from Vancouver to Jasper.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
21,150 posts
115 reviews
236 helpful votes
4. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Via Rail is similar to Amtrak and runs to Jasper as an overnight trip. You miss a lot as it goes thru areas at night. The rockies run north to south and all trains go west to east so your not in 'the rockies' while on the train except for a really small portion. Driving gives you flexibility.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36,327 posts
63 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Six nights?? Fly to Calgary and drive from there. 3 nights Banff, 3 nights Jasper...if you can find availability.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
23,685 posts
113 reviews
171 helpful votes
6. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Driving !! It's a beautiful drive through various areas that are worth seeing on their own, stopping in the Okanogan , taking a wine tour , etc .

I would say that with only six days you skip jasper though ( if driving from Vancouver )

You can do jasper and Banff in 4-5 days though ,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
71,541 posts
66 reviews
93 helpful votes
7. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

Are you planning to fly out of Vancouver? or Calgary? Are you planning to visit only Banff? or Jasper as well? What are your dates?

8. Re: canadian rockies--do I take the train and/or drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 15, 2018