We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 to Vancouver in July - help!

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5 to Vancouver in July - help!

We're traveling to Vancouver as the starting point for our Alaskan Cruise. We'd like to spend 3-4 days pre trip visiting and exploring the city.

The catch - there are 2 adults and 3 teens ( ages 15,15, 16).

Does anyone have any recommendations on lodging / suites that can accomodate all of us?

What would you recommend as MUST do's for this leg of our trip? We're adventurous, love interesting food and culture...and are fairly resourcesful when it comes to exploring. ( Group tours are not what we are looking for.

We can arrive in Vancouver from 7/12/07 forward but board our ship on the 16th.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions - I know the forums have really helped us in the past.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 to Vancouver in July - help!

Vancouver has some suite hotels, which might be a good bet for you. What is your price range?

The best area in which to stay is downtown or else the West End (which is a mixed density residential neighbourhood between downtown and Stanley Park).

To see suggestions of what to do, I recommend you read some of TripAdvisor's Inside Pages about Vancouver, such as:

Inside Vancouver : Suggested Itineraries:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c3336/Vancouv…

and Inside Vancouver : Off the beaten path:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s403/Vancouve…

Since you said you liked food, you may be interested in reading Inside Vancouver : Dining Overview:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s501/Vancouve…

and Inside Vancouver : Dining Reviews"

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c2292/Vancouv…

You also may be interested in Inside Vancouver : Shopping. I mention this not because I expect you to shop, necessarily, but because that page is something of a guide to some interesting neighbourhoods as well:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s405/Vancouve…

Also see BowenLinda's recommendations for kayaking in the Vancouver area. Her comments are in post #5 in this thread on the British Columbia forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k10207…

Hope that helps.

2. Re: Family of 5 to Vancouver in July - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 21, 2009