We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poole - Dorset
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

My wife and I are visiting Vancouver island in September and will be travelling down from Port hardy staying at Campbell River and then on to Victoria. If we add a few extra days on is it worth staying somewhere else on the east coast or is it worth sidetracking to Tofino?

Any advice most welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

Tofino, hands down. Wilderness, trails, stretches of beaches, water activities, unique shops. It's about a 3 hour drive from Nanaimo/Parksville.

tofinotime.com/activities/tofinohiking.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0TP3uieO4

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

Another vote for Tofino. And lots to visit and see on the drive over there too!

http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/

It is a great destination anytime of year, but especially nice in September as all the kids are back in school, and it is somewhat quieter. Two nights at least, but three nights there would be even better!

. tofino-bc.com/accommodations/b-and-b-tofino-…

Have a wonderful time planning!

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

You will love Tofino...wild rugged coastline and amazing beaches. Lovely quaint town with excellent restaurants and coffee shops.

Check out Harvey House for somewhere to stay...its run by fellow Brits and is quite simply superb and just yards from Chesterman Beach.

Mears Island is well worth a trip out, and there are also the usual whale watching and seaplane rides in town.

We loved it and are just planning for our return in 2013

Poole - Dorset
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

Thanks for your comments- time to do some research

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

I can highly recommend the Bear watching trip from Jamie's Whale Station in Tofino. It may require a very early start but it is well worth the effort

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

Just wondering how long you are staying in Campbell River. Quadra Island is a 10 minute ferry ride and is a great place for a day trip or a weekend or an entire holiday! There are other places along the "East Coast" to explore and stay other than Campbell River too.

If you are in Campbell River and have the time I highly recommend the Campbell River Museum. It's right on the road heading up to the highway heading South.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

+1 for Tofino, and Pacific Rim National Park. The west coast of VI is very different from the east coast. Because the next stop heading west is Japan, the ocean either crashes on rocks or come in often high waves along the open beaches. (They surf over there.) The rain forest is also something quite different and some of the walks in the Park illustrate what BC coast would have been like for the first Europeans to see it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,156 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

The Tofino area is spectacular, but you will see some wonderful scenery in Port Hardy as well. Only you can decide if Tofino is worth the side trip. As mentioned, there's some great options on the east side of the island as well. It depends on what you are looking for.

FWIW, I was talking with a family from the Maritimes when I was in the Rockies a couple of years ago and they were quite underwhelmed by Tofino and didn't think it was worth it. So, there you go, you have to do your own research and decide if its the sort of place that appeals to you. (I love it there, btw)

Port Alberni, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

On your way to Tofino, you can stop at the best place to see salmon migrating on Vancouver Island. It is a 15 km detour, but well worth it. In September the biggest species, the Chinook are moving through the fish ladder and jumping at the falls. flickr.com/photos/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit Tofino or Stay on East coast of Vancouver Island

We preferred Uclulet as against Tofino - not quite as touristy but nearby