We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

We are considering following as an itinerary. However we are completely open to suggestions, especially from experienced travelers and/or local experts.

Day 1: Drive from Seattle via Tsawasseen, BC and Duke point and Port Albani to Tofino. Stop over at Cathedral Grove along the way.

Day 2: Early morning walk on Chesterman Beach. Spend the whole day in Pacific Rim National Park: Wickaninnish Beach and Interpretive Centre, Radar Hill, Schooner's Cove, The Bog, and The Rainforest Trail (B), Long Beach, Hot Springs Cove

Day 3: Early morning walk on Chesterman Beach. May be take a Whale watching tour or Bear Watching Tour. Along the way back, take Amphitrite Lighthouse trail and reach Victoria same night.

As always, our vacation is short and may not be sufficient but we like to make most of it without rushing too much.

In addition, can anyone suggest activities if starts raining.

Thanks a lot.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,705 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

We didn't do the trip to Hot Springs Cove, but I'm pretty sure that's a half day boat trip out from Tofino. You won't fit that in with the other things you have planned. That could be your boat trip on the morning of Day 3, or if you keep it on day 2, then it will limit your time in the park (which is in the other direction).

A full day appreciating the park is easy. I think we took two, just to stop at the various points, and then we had a full day just hanging out on Long Beach, playing frisbee, building things with the driftwood, watching the surfers, watching the wildlife and walking along that endless surf line. We forgot to bring our kites (ARGH) but that would have been another good thing for that day.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

i highly recommend the trip to hot springs cove. the short hike is beautiful and the scenery along the way too. do a google image search and check out the pictures - you wont want to miss it im sure.

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Day 1: Drive from Seattle via Tsawasseen, BC and Duke point and Port Albani to Tofino. Stop over at Cathedral Grove along the way.

-The Anarcortes ferry could be an alternative, to get around the busy Peace Arch Border crossing

- Nanaimo to Tofino will take you 3 hours straight driving, keep that in mind when visiting the stunning ancient growth of Douglas Fir in Port Alberni---Also the last chance to refuel your car, as there will be no patrol stations hereafter until Tofino/Ucluelet

Day 2: Early morning walk on Chesterman Beach. Spend the whole day in Pacific Rim National Park: Wickaninnish Beach and Interpretive Centre, Radar Hill, Schooner's Cove, The Bog, and The Rainforest Trail (B), Long Beach, Hot Springs Cove

- Hot Springs Cove in Tofino is a full day program. As for the remainer trail selection, you pretty much plan to take on the entire Pacifc Rim National Park in one day. Schooner cove alone deserves 3 hours, as there is stunning tide pooling around the corner

Day 3: Early morning walk on Chesterman Beach. May be take a Whale watching tour or Bear Watching Tour. Along the way back, take Amphitrite Lighthouse trail and reach Victoria same night.

- It is a 5 hours drive to Victoria. Bear watching usually leaves at 8am by boat (Mike White). The Wild Pacific Trail in Ucluelet (Lighthouse loop) is 2.6km, but the views are stunning - You will want to spend half a day right there, packing a lunch and soaking-in the views

In addition, can anyone suggest activities if starts raining.

- we call rain liquid sun

As always, our vacation is short and may not be sufficient but we like to make most of it without rushing too much.

-In this case, here is my suggestion:

Day 1

unwind in Ucluelet with an evening walk on the Lighthouse loop

Day 2

do the Schooner cove trail at low tide, hike the rainforest loop and visit Wickaninnish Beach with a visit at the interpretative center. You also could take a guided interpretative tour which lasts either 3 or 6 hours with you own private naturalist.

Day 3

Do bear watching in the morning with great chances to see seals, bald eagles and black bear. Have lunch in Tofino at SOBO and then drive back to Victoria

Hope this helps.

Be kind - unwind

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,425 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Ucluelet also now has an aquarium! For the rainy day, if you are wanting to get inside for a while, do check it out. It is run by volunteers, and has only been open for one month. They are open 7 days a week, from 10 to 6.

Another alternative for a rainy day is to visit Eagle Aerie Gallery. Roy Vickers is the artist. Beautiful work, in a beautiful setting. It is in Tofino.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,615 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

I noticed that the aquarium has reviews going back to 2008. What's new is the building. And they take ocean water in. The critters are apparently released to the ocean at the end of every day. How cool is that?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,425 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

www.uclueletaquarium.org

The critters are released at the end of the season... just went back and re read the post by the person from Ucluelet. It sounds great, and I really hope they are able to make a go of it. I'll be going the last week of July while camping at Green Point.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,615 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Well, I certainly was wrong about daily! But their website shows they have a very interesting system that seems to allow some critters to come and go at will -

<<Another point of difference is that the creatures you’ll see on display are released back into the wild. Not only does this practice minimize our impact on the environment, it keeps our displays new and interesting. Release days are locally publicized events in which we attempt to involve the entire community.

Our aquarium is literally part of the local marine ecosystem. Water from Ucluelet harbour flows directly through our tanks, allowing many animals to find their own way in and out of the displays. Think of these tanks as a system of transparent tide pools connected to the harbour ecosystem. >>

Edited: 11:37 pm, June 23, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,425 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Now that really is cool. I shall definitely be checking it out and reporting back. It's very reasonably priced too.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Thank you all for your suggestions. Very very helpful.

LBNTours: I like your suggestion. May be we will leave Hot Springs Cove for next visit (Although it looks very tempting, I think we would miss out on everything else if we do it).

Q: Wouldn't Ferry from Annacortes take longer? I heard that it stops over in San Juans. Also wouldn't we have to go from south from Sydney to Victoria?

Edited: 6:38 pm, June 24, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,425 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Request for suggestions on Tofino Itinerary

Yes, the ferry from Anacortes does take longer, but so beautiful. And from Sydney to Victoria is a 20 - 30 minute drive, depending on the traffic. If you get there as the Swartz Bay ferry is just unloading, it will be busier. They run pretty much every hour in the summer time, so it is hard to time it right.