We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

We are a family with three kids 5-12. What is the best camping option? [We don't have an RV, so we do camp in a simple tent]. We'd happily get recommendation for other staying places, as long as it's under 150$ a night for a family of 5, and has some chance of having a space beginning July.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

In a tent, I'd go with Green Point in the national park. We drove through there with the kids last summer and they both said they'd rather be there than at Crystal Cove where we were (but we need power for medical reasons, so couldn't stay at Green Point ourselves. Shame - I prefer the provincial/national park campsite to the private ones).

However, if you like the amenities of a private campground, then Crystal Cove was very nice. There was good tree cover between the sites, so it was fairly private, everything was included (firewood, showers, internet, coffee in the morning, etc), it had a nice big children's playground (although I would not have wanted a campsite right next to the playground - too noisy!), and great beach access.

Tofino books up early, so I'd get on it!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Thanks! Well, you are more than right. Not one spot on Green Point, and Crystal Cove site say they accept only RV's.

Any other suggestions?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,693 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Ah, I didn't think about them being RV only.

Ok, you are a bit stuck for space at this stage (I think I booked our trip in about Feb/Mar). I'm not sure if Green Point keeps some spaces for first come, first served, but that's a bit risky with kids. You could book into Sproat Lake, which is just out of Port Alberni (and a lovely area) which is within reach of the Pacific Rim area for day trips.

You'll have to do some internet searching, or perhaps contact Tofino Tourism directly and see what they can suggest for you. There are some basic motels in Tofino that are NOT beachfront, and so reasonably inexpensive, but still close to all the wonderful scenery and beaches. The law is that everything below the hightide mark is public, so you can sit on the same beaches as everyone else.

The other thought I have would be staying on Vargas Island, but I see they are having some trouble with wolves at the moment. That might be a bit much.

If you can't find anything in Tofino and you start having to look elsewhere, you might want to consider Bamfield on the south side of the inlet, or head up island to Port McNeil and that area.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

We camped here http://www.mackenziebeach.com/camping.html many, many years ago. You can't beat the location - roll out of your tent in the morning and walk on the beach in your pj's :-)

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Not sure if you would want to stay in Ucluelet, but there is a new campground on the beach in the Indian reservation. I couldn't find reviews, but I did run across videos someone made of their recent stay in a yurt. Haven't been there yet, but made a reservation for a yurt for July. They even have yurts for 5 that would probably be in your price range They still had lots of availability for July a couple of days ago. wyapoint.com/family-camping-ucluelet-bc-vanc…

Edited: 5:12 pm, May 25, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Try Bella PacifIca. Great location on McKenzie Beach. Often full.

Otherwise have a look at Mussel Beach in Ucluelet.

For accommodation in your price range I'd contact Tofino Motel in Tofino or Westcoast Motel in Ucluelet.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Thanks for the Heads Up on Wya Point looks like a winner!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

And don't forget to make a ferry reservation! How early in July? There's stat holidays both sides of the border! Busy times!

california
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

Here are the videos I mentioned of Wya Point. www.youtube.com/playlist…

10. Re: camping in Tofino - what is the best campsite for Tents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, June 21, 2013