We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino with young kids

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Tofino with young kids

Hi! We are planning a trip to Tofino in mid June. Energetic and well travelled 3 year old and a baby ( in the ergo carrier). Where can we take them? Planning to be in the area for 3 days.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino with young kids

With kids that age, I would seriously look at Parksville. Tofino is beautiful, but the ocean can be dangerous and you have to be very careful. If you are just planning for a beach vacation where you stay close to your cabin and just do some beach play, then you could look at the resorts on Mackenzie Beach. We stayed at Crystal Cove (they have camping and beautiful cabins) and I thought that area was very kid friendly.

Tofino, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino with young kids

The ocean in June is not dangerous in Tofino. Well, no more dangerous than parksville. Always exercise caution but do not avoid staying here due to fear. The beaches are very family friendly and are enjoyed by families year round. The beaches are perfect for kids and it is always a joy to watch a child experience the great wide open of a natural beach. Chesterman beach is my favorite beach in the entire world!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino with young kids

+1 for Mackenzie Beach, if you decide to go to Tofino. We have stayed a number of times at Ocean Village Resort and there have often been "munchkins" digging in the sand. Mackenzie Beach is a little more sheltered than some of the beaches, which may make it more suitable for families. The only thing that occurs to me is the temperature. It can be very windy over on the west coast of Vancouver Island (even on Mackenzie Beach), which brings the air temperature down. The east coast at Parksville may be somewhat warmer.

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino with young kids

Ucluelet Aquarium is 1/2 hour drive, as well as Wild Pacific Trail.

see www.uclueletaquarium.org and www.wildpacifictrail.com

Both kids and parents will love

Surf lessons

Whale Watching

Sand castles and beach play

Enjoy the area!

Ucluelet
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino with young kids

re: my message above - surf for the parents while the kids play on the beach - each parent could take a private lesson!

6. Re: Tofino with young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Tofino