We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping in the car?

Which Tofino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping in the car?

If someone showed up in Tofino one weekend and couldn't find available accommodation for the evening, is it feasible for them to just park somewhere overnight and sleep in their car (station wagon), or even camp on the beach?

I don't know Tofino, but have heard it's pretty a "hippie" and laid-back place.

Edited: 5:11 pm, April 26, 2011
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping in the car?

Perhaps. This reminds me of my younger days when Long Beach and Tofino were undiscovered and we could camp on the beach, sleep in the car, even drive on the beach. Those days are long gone. There are not many private pullouts and side roads any more, mostly private property, and the main parking area at Long Beach is pay parking. The cops would probably hassle you. Of course you could get a campsite and sleep in the car. When you get there just ask around.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping in the car?

No-the RCMP are all over that kind of things and people are Not Allowed to sleep in vehicles in town or in the park-you 'might' get away with it in Ukee.

Hippies were priced out of the place long ago-it's all about bling and $300/night hotel rooms now.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping in the car?

Bit late to this post, but the days of sleeping in your car went out about the same time as when the fishermen stopped cleaning up at Hot Springs Cove before the big night out at the Maquinna!

With the highest on average hotel rates in Canada, no body makes money when you sleep in a car! Wee beachfront camping patches at Bella Pacifica are $50 a night!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping in the car?

When we recently travelled through some US National Parks I was shocked by the number of people "camping" in their cars. But they seemed to make it work. Not all that common in Canadian National Parks it does happen. Just remember that cars aren't well insulated so you'll be cold when its cold and hot when its hot. So you could camp in your car -

longbeachgolfcourse.com/site/campground.html

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…visit4c.aspx

BC
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping in the car?

Yeah, make sure you bring warm blankets---it gets mighty cold there at night, even in July and August.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeping in the car?

Yes, the days of the hippies are long gone (except perhaps at Common Loaf bakery). There are signs everywhere on the highway through the park and into Tofino, as well as in the parking lots, about no parking overnight. I really wouldn't go over to WCVI without a reservation during "high season". Best to do some advance research and booking before you go. (Ucluelet is somewhat less overpriced than Tofino, I think.)

7. Re: Sleeping in the car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 29, 2012