We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

http://tinyurl.com/4oxzmk4

From the Vancouver Sun, March 22, 2011 about the Hotel Price Index for Tofino based on booking through an online booking site.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

One of the oddest particles I've read in some time-hotel room rates are usurious because of Big Old Trees?

WTH?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,033 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Big Old Trees are becoming a rarer commodity and people will pay $$$ to go to places where there is wilderness. It's not surprising that Lake Louise was mentioned as having had the highest average hotel rates in the previous year.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

I think what's happened in Tofino is the same thing that they're talking about doing in Chinatown - the developers' highrise idea of building bigger, taller, better and forcing the surrounding rents/prices up. Tofino seems to have had new development and expansion that may be doing just that.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Nothing surprising in that article to me. Tofino has been vastly overpriced for a very long time. If Ucluelet rates were taken out the average would have been much higher.

The next best beach to Tofino is in Cannon Beach in Oregon. Rates there are high but not as high, on average, as Tofino. Sadly we tend to go there more than Tofino.

Tofino is a big draw to the Island and rightly should be, but we seldom stay in a hotel there and generally stay in a $50 per night campsite!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

It has been a bit discouraging for budget to mid-range travellers, such as ourselves, to see the price increases in Tofino (year after year after year) during the time we have been going over there. With accommodation so pricey and ferry costs increasing, as fuel costs continue to go up, it can make for a rather expensive holiday.

As Dave suggests, camping is an option for those who camp. For those of us who do not (both locals and visitors), going over in the shoulder season (or the off-season) and booking accommodation that includes kitchen facilities helps mitigate some of the costs.

There are also some older motels on the highway in Ucluelet that would result in lower costs. They are a short drive from Pacific Rim National Park, with its wonderful beaches and trails through the rain forest.

Obviously, there is a market for the high-priced resorts and visitors who book into those resorts are certainly welcome. However, I must confess that, from time to time, I experience a sense of wistfulness for the time when Tofino was far less developed and shrouded in mist at the end of a very windy and long drive.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Dave----really? There are no good micro-breweries in Cannon Beach---hee hee. Just kidding---you are right-it's a great beach. Have you ever been to Manzanita, Oregon? It's south of Cannon Beach, much smaller and more intimate--not nearly as "touristy". Drop down there if you ever go to Cannon Beach again. :) That is too bad though about the exhorbitant prices at Tofino----it's been awhile since I'd been there, and I went in March so prices were pretty good.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

I hear you itchyfeet090. Though I love visiting Tofino, it is just pricing itself out of our budget. I really liked going there many years ago and having a big bonfire on the beach and an eventful beer at the Maquinna.

It still is an excellent destination worthwhile to most visitors on Vancouver Island (don't you tend to spend a bit more on a foreign holiday?) but sadly it's pricing itself out of reach of many.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Hi OregonExplorer!

Have been many times to Manzanita. Last time stayed at Coast Cabins. Beautiful spot, Japanese influenced buildings and lower rates than Tofino!

Bill's Tavern makes a decent Duck Dive Pale Ale!

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Aw, shoot, Dave-I forgot about Bill's Tavern. I stand corrected. Well, glad you've enjoyed the Oregon Coast---I certainly enjoy your coastlines also. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,184 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tofino Hotel Prices - news article

Hey BD! yer back! Just quoted your 176th recommendation from Seattle to Van on another thread. Hope you had a great time.

It does look more and more that Ucluelet is the place to look for accommodation. If you have a car, it's not that far down the ??? peninsula (I don't know what to call it!) The Janus peninsula, there - looking both ways from the T intersection.