We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary!

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary!

My family of 4 (2 sons, ages 8 and 15) will be flying to Seattle in late July and arriving at 9:30 PM. We want to spend our total of 8 nights between Vancouver Island (hopefully Tofino) and the city of Vancouver.

I thought we would spend the first night in a hotel by the airport in Seattle since it will be late. After that, I am confused. The hotel I wanted in Vancouver was available from the 27-30 of July, so I thought we would go to Vancouver Island first. But what's the best way to get there (if Tofino is our destination) - through Anacortes?

Or go to Vancouver anyway and then to Tofino? I'd like to see some nice scenery on the way, and hope that starting the morning of the 24th and having to be in Vancouver on the 27th isn't too little time! ANy advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Seattle, WA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary!

I'm assuming you'll have a car, so disregard this if not. If you plan to stay in Seattle on the first night, then you should have plenty of options as far as getting to Victoria (the Victoria Clipper if no car). Anacortes is probably the simplest route. It's about1.5 hours from Seatttle, you get on the ferry and ride for 3.5 hours through some great scenery. I believe you come into Sidney on Vancouver island which is a short drive south to Victoria. If you're interested more in Tofino than Victoria, you could head north out of Sidney and be in Tofino in about 3-4 hours. All in, it's probably the quickest way with a car to the island.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary!

If you're heading straight to Tofino from Seattle (about an 8 hour trip), the fastest route is to drive north to Tsawwassen and take the ferry from there to Nanaimo and drive over to Tofino from there. It's about 2.5-3 hours of driving on either end of the 2 hour ferry ride so the ferry breaks the trip up nicely (although it's a long day). You definitely want to make reservations for the ferry since the 24th is a Saturday.

I wouldn't go to Tofino for less than 3 nights so if you can get there on the 24th and leave for Vancouver on the 27th, that works.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary!

My suggestions.

Overnight at the Watertown Hotel in the U District in Seattle. They have an a la carte program and your choice of cart will be in the room when you arrive (spa, art, poker ect., have a look at their website). Rooms are great as is breakfast and parking is free. About a 25 minute drive (or less at night) from SeaTac.

http://www.watertownseattle.com/

I would use the directions below and take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver to Departure Bay in Nanaimo. The drive from Departure Bay to Tofino is 3 hours. The directions below are tried, true and tested. They are contained in a previous post at (you won't be going to Sechelt but that ferry departs from the same terminal at Horseshoe Bay):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60878-i74-k370626…

Sorry northwestwanderer, as it's a Saturday you seldom need reservations on the ferry as it's the least busy day of the week. You can make reservations for $15 if it will make you feel more confident of the exact time you'll be on the boat, but I don't believe it's necessary.

Enjoy your visit to Vancouver Island!

4. Re: Help with Itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, December 16, 2010